Bombardier sells Q400 Program

It’s being sold to Viking Air, not Airbus

2 Likes

Oh, cool. Never heard of them.

1 Like

Viking Air does the Viking 400 Twin Otter and supports a ton of DHC Aircraft

1 Like

What pissed me off today was an article about a Q400 and the article pictured an Embraer

2 Likes

So much aviation news which is mostly negative 🙁

1 Like

Bombardier used to be one of my favorite manufacturers but since the whole c-series/a220 takeover and now this, I don’t like them as much as they have sold one of my favorite aircraft types off. Sad times

It appears that by far most of their revenue growth came from the growing sales in the CRJs. To me this looks like a move of a company who wants to focus on where the money is coming from. 100% pure business decision. Loosing a beaut turbo prop and 5000 jobs is probably seen as ‘collateral damage’ 😞

That new business jet looks sharp though! Wouldn’t that be a good add-on for IF…

1 Like

As someone else suggested, depends on the routes you’re flying. CRJ’s have put many airlines out of business over the years. Yep it’s lovely to have jets but their operating economics are rubbish over short distances compared to the turboprop and the two largest expenses of an airline are fuel and staff. A well maintained Q400 is a beautiful experience for passengers, but not all airlines look after the ANVS which is the system that actively reduces noise in the cabin, so they can be a little noisy. A fully functional ANVS makes it a joy though. Turbulence is another story though. Particularly in the cockpit you feel like you are in a washing machine in turbulence due to the high wing loading.

As for speed, I used to fly the Q400 in real life and we would regularly beat jets over shorter distances as we’re not that much slower and can often take more direct tracking due to jets having to get around other outbound/inbound jets on the jet SIDs and STARs. Was always amusing to hear a jet pilot ask where that Q400 had come from in disbelief. Didn’t happen a lot but it did happen.

2 Likes

Of course it’s sad that this has happened too, but it’s not unexpected. The regional jet program really put a dent in Bombardier’s long term viability. As others have said the industry is in bad need of turboprop capability so I hope this isn’t the end of production.

2 Likes

Aww, I loved the Q400

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.