Boeing Seeks to Potentially Consolidate 787 Assembly Lines

Boeing Seeks to Potentially Consolidate 787 Plants

Due to COVID-19’s hard-hitting effects on the airline industry, Boeing is weighing the option to potentially combine its 787 plants in Everett and Charleston. The consolidation study was first announced in July after 787 production rates were slashed to six planes per month across the two assembly plants.

Should Boeing proceed with the consolidation, it’s likely that the Everett plant will lose out due to the efficiency and costs savings at the Charleston plant. The Charleston plant not only has a final assembly line for the 787, but also separate buildings that assemble the mid and rear sections of the fuselage, whilst the plant in Everett requires the use of the Dreamlifter to fly the mid and rear sections across the country.

Why is This Happening?

• At the current production rate of six planes per month, either plant alone could meet the requirement, hence, consolidation is the logical and most efficient choice, especially if one plant alone can meet the post-recovery demand of 10-12 airplanes per month.
  • Pandemic has collapsed demand for airplanes.
  • Boeing is still suffering from financial woes with the 737 MAX crisis. Consolidation would help them tremendously, owing to the financial strain of maintaining two low-rate 787 production plants.
  • Building the 787 at Charleston is simply more efficient and cost-effective.

What do People Have to Say?

• If Everett is shut down, it would slash jobs in Washington and hurt the local economy. The mayor and district 751 president of the International Association of Machinists (IAM) union both stress the importance of the jobs at the Everett plant, both in terms of helping out the local economy, as well as the residents.
  • The IAM in particular is quite upset; the “union lobbied for the 2003 tax incentives and his members then overcame enormous assembly problems caused by Boeing’s far-flung global suppliers to finally get the jet program on track.” The district 751 president said it was disappointing that after all their efforts, the Everett jobs are at risk of being lost.
  • The CEO of Boeing said should they move to consolidate, it would be a permanent move in efforts to solve problems for a more robust market.

So, What Happens to Everett?

• Consolidation will cause Washington’s aerospace factors to suffer from three to four years of hardship. The job losses from moving Everett’s 787 production to Charleston will cause 767/777 production costs to increase because Boeing will be operating a big plant with lower production numbers and deliveries.
  • A Teal Group analyst says that to help save Washington’s aerospace industries, Boeing should start an all-new jet program at Everett. The plane should be an A321 competitor that’s a bit bigger and more capable.
  • A rep. from a consulting firm believes Boeing should design a radically new, “green” plane to launch in 2030. The engineering work would fulfill the potential empty space in Everett, as well as create employment opportunities for engineers and technical manufacturing workers.

Boeing is yet to give details about its potential decision. When asked questions about consolidation, Boeing’s Commercial Airplanes CEO, Stan Deal, said Boeing’s “presence in Washington is unwavering.” Boeing said that future requirements and the production system’s long-term health would be key factors in the decision. While no further details or decision are available, many are arguing for Boeing to keep the 787 production facility in Everett, and it will be interesting to see how things play out at the end.

22 Likes

3 Likes

I’m not crying! My eyes just got out the shower!

Well, time to say bye bye to Everett’s great legacy. It’ll never be the same with Charleston.

2 Likes

My eyes are just sweating after my run…
Why does COVID have to ruin everything

3 Likes

its one hit after another for boeing these days … geez

1 Like

While it certainly doesn’t seem too optimistic, I’m hoping that something can be done to keep Everett bustling and the jobs there. For the local population (and for Washington’s aerospace industry), having Everett is extremely crucial. If Boeing does consolidate, I’m hoping they have a good plan to help Everett out a bit.

This has been something that has been considered for quite some time. To be honest, if it ends up happening, I won’t be surprised.

It will suck to no longer see delivery flights depart from Everett though. 😔

2 Likes

I won’t be surprised if it happens. It will especially be sad for me, as last year in Seattle, I visited the Boeing production line, and it was incredible

(Then Boeing can remake the 757 in Everett)

I’m calling it. Watch it happen.

1 Like

Oh I won’t be surprised either. Charleston has multiple advantages over Everett in terms of building the 787. And yeah, it will be sad to see the Everett delivery flights go away :(

1 Like

Had the chance to visit it myself a few years back. It will be sad to see it go, should it happen (most likely will)

I have a feeling it won’t happen

Broooo just make a freighter 787 that would be epic

We get Dreamlifters from Everett here in Wichita, so… what happens then here? Do flights just change from going to Everett and fly to Charleston instead?

Lots been written on the topic and your post sums it up pretty well, thanks for that!

One further point I read often is that the employees in Charleston are not organised in an union, which would allow Boeing to enforce further cost cutting more easily.

Nonetheless there are issues with the Charleston facilities as well, especially considering all the FOD (foreign objects) found in to be delivered aircraft from the facility last year. As far as I recall at least one customer (Qatar Airways) opted against B787 from Charleston.

2 Likes

Kinda off topic but why doesn’t boeing make a 757 max ?! its about time and the tech is there … i know its tough times but boeing can utilize the down tick of traffic to hit airbus back when the world recovers

Not sure there’s really a demand for a 787 freighter, to be honest. The current freight-haulers do a great job at what they’re doing. And even if they do make a 787 freighter, more like than not it’ll be at Charleston too just because it’s easier to build the 787 there.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not sure.

1 Like

There have been a lot of complaints about shoddy build quality from Boeing’s Charleston plant. KLM, Qatar, Etihad, and Singpoare are just some of the airlines complaining, ranging from dented panels to FODs and un-communicated delays. There were a series of interviews a while back with Charleston employees, as well as an undercover visit to the plant, and all the people that were talked to/interviewed said they personally wouldn’t get on a 787 made in Charleston. I haven’t seen much news in recent days regarding how things are at the moment, but if Boeing does end up consolidating, they need to fix the issues at Charleston. Not just for customer and consumer satisfaction, but for safety and moral values as well. No lives are worth cutting costs and corners.

3 Likes

hmm…okay, yeah, I couldnt find anything about it 🤷‍♂️