Boeing’s KC-46A Rejected by US AirForce - Boeing Ramping Up Inspections

Well this just came through my news feed. I hope Boeing can work this out because they aren’t looking good. But I do have faith they will get this fixed or not have tools in their planes when they are inspecting them.:/

11 Likes

Don’t get sloppy now, Boeing. Can’t believe that! The workers should know not to leave FOD in brand new aircraft, or any aircraft for that matter.

This is the second time in a month the Air Force has halted delivery of the KC-46 for the same reason.

The second time?! Why wasn’t it caught and stopped the first time?! Unbelievable.

12 Likes

How do they manage to leave random tools and debris inside of the aircraft? If someone at Boeing had simply looked inside the aircraft, wouldn’t they have noticed these random items lying around?

3 Likes

I thought the same thing here. That is ridiculous.

Also what I’m questioning. Again this is nuts. How does this happen?

4 Likes

That’s dumb USAF

1 Like

Boeing’s fault though?

The point is ineffective quality assurance. There should be managers signing off and inspecting everything at each stage. It’s easily possible for this to happen so it should have been taken much seriously to begin with to prevent this.

4 Likes

I definitely agree. This shouldn’t happen, ever, and if it does, they should take immediate steps to make sure it never happens again.

3 Likes

download%20(34)

1 Like

Old news really. I read this on an article from the National Interest a couple of months ago. (I only read for military status updates)

1 Like

Well, on march 23. USAF again halted acceptance of new KC-46 aircraft because of additional FOD found and areas where Boeing did not meet quality standards.
This came public yesterday. April 2.

So this is not old news

6 Likes

It’s april now 🤔

2 Likes

After the increase in aircraft incidents and accidents both IFE and on the ground it’s not suprising they rejected it. The USAF Safety board is gonna be scrubbing hard for sure. Especially after two incidents within the same year for our B-1 fleet.

One thing is for sure if Boeing wants to keep its contract in tact something needs to change.

4 Likes

Would you mind linking the other issues you mentioned, it’s not something the UK media reports on. Thank you!

1 Like

https://www.safety.af.mil here is a great link for all safety issues affecting the USAF.

3 Likes

It didnt “restart” what happened was that the AF just accepted the two aircraft that the problem originally arose on. The acceptance of those happened on March 13 only 10 days before this “new” stoppage. The “restart” was merely the two aircraft on the production line being cleared for procurement. This isnt a new stoppage at all and is just an update on the original story. It is old news

1 Like

I’m confused. if I understand you correct; No new FOD or issues found?

Yesterday Seattle Times quoted Secretary Heather Wilson:
«The latest delivery halt was prompted after the service opened up some closed compartments, such as inside wings, and found flaws»

Source

1 Like

On the two problem aircraft that caused the shutdown they resolved it on those two and the AF accepted them. This current one is the AF refusing to accept the aircraft that was next in the production cue so this really isnt a new issue that started up again. Its still part of the original. The confusion I think is coming from the use of articles saying production restarted as production never actually halted in the first place just the acceptance of the two aircraft got deferred and now the newest one is getting deferred which was the one being produced right after the other two.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification but imho the most important news here is a new FOD issue on the newest one. That’s a fact right?

Just trying to understand this story

2 Likes

Yeah that is worrisome not only for the customer but the manufacturer. You dont want to keep replacing tools. Someone or some people are going to get either retrained or fired for that

2 Likes