Boeing researches new SST

Boeing is studying a Mach 5 hypersonic jetliner that would cruise at FL950, reports Guy Norris in the current issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology. That’s 2.5 times the speed and 30,000 ft higher than the Concorde SST.

It would feature a titanium airframe and be powered by new-generation hybrid turbofan / ramjet engines. Likely derived from an existing commercial powerplant, the turbofans would be used for subsonic flight phases. For hypersonic flight, engine inlet air would bypass around the turbofan and be fed directly to a ramjet section at the rear. Dual fuel: The turbofan might run on Jet A while the ramjet might use liquid methane.

Entry into service is forecast for the late 2030s time frame.

4 Likes

The Concorde was truly a remarkable aircraft and it was all said and done more than 30 years ago. It seems like we are going backwards here. The Concorde design is proven and known to work, maybe new engines and it could be just as good I reckon.

3 Likes

Doesn’t this sound just like BOOM technologies? Also, FL950? That would take a long time to reach or a very uncomfortable ride.

1 Like

While Concorde was an amazing aircraft, economically it was a disaster.

@HiFlyer Maybe? Before we were cruising at Fl350 people might of said the exact same thing, Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

1 Like

That is true. It just seems like if you would want to climb comfortably, it would take long, and if you have an ultra-fast aircraft like this, that would take half of the flight. Thanks for noticing it was my birthday! I plan to go spotting tonight and get some pics at KBWI.

2 Likes

As technology advances so does our comforts, while right now it might not seem comfy companies eventually get there.
Enjoy your birthday man and hope to see some of your pictures!

2 Likes

Isn’t that the time frame when 737’s are going to be replaced by some other aircraft? If so, then the SST may be a contribution to the replacement.

1 Like

I am not sure, my personal thoughts I don’t think we’ll see the 737 replaced by then but thats me.

Added: A Quick google search shows the Boeing Yellowstone Project which is suppose to replace the 737.

2 Likes

About the pictures, I cannot post them yet on this website because I am still a “basic user”. This is quite annoying but I do not know what to do about it, just keep on reading on this website.

1 Like

Duplicate and old news

1 Like

I rather fly in a normal wide body because i already know that ticket will be expensive and my bank account (if i had one) and wallet would not be happy

1 Like

Thank you AndrewRG10

My take on this is that supersonic commercial capability obviously already exists (Concorde), so thats not the issue. The issue is the cost and regulatory hurdles surrounding such an operation. Concorde’s biggest hurdles were the fact that its design required a narrow body, limiting the number of seats it could offer. This bumped the price way up for a flight from the US to Europe. Now, a price increase is easy to stomach if you can make the trip in 3 hours, but the FAA severely limited the speed at which Concorde could fly. There were far too many noise complaints from the sonic booms, so the FAA mandated that the Concorde couldn’t go supersonic over the contiguous US. This action brought the actual travel time close to that of a regular commercial airliner, thus negating any benefit to the ticket holder. Maybe they’ve found a way to work around those hurdles. If so, this could be a successful project and an appealing purchase for an airline.

1 Like

Not for the London to New York route. Which is the most profitable route in the world might I add…

1 Like