Boeing Quietly Pulls the Plug on the 747

The era of jumbo jets is officially coming to an end. According to a report from Bloomberg, the last 747 will roll off of the production line in 2 years, based on wording changes in Boeing’s financial reports.

Boeing has reportedly lost around $40M on each 747 produced since 2016, when production was slowed to just 6 airframes per year, the majority of which have been freighter aircraft with the last passenger order coming in 2017, for Air Force One.

The 747-8 is expected to still fly for decades to come as a freighter, but no new jets will be produced beyond 2022.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-02/boeing-quietly-pulls-plug-on-the-747-closing-era-of-jumbo-jets

45 Likes

Just saw this. Very sad. I can’t believe the Queen of the Skies is really gone 🥺

16 Likes

No, not the queen! It’s been over 50 years since the 747 program began, and now it’s ending. Really sad news here. 😪

6 Likes

We missed it when one went but now both are going to be gone :(

16 Likes

Sucks to see the Queen go, I still want to get the chance and fly on the 747, especially since there are some airlines retiring it now.

2 Likes

I’d love the chance to fly on one, never have. Took a nap on one once (thanks to an unnamed pilot from Cargolux), but I’m sure flying on one would be a surreal experience.

2 Likes

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

20 Likes

Since you live in florida, i’d say your best bet is MCO-FRA on LH (there are more than likely others though). There are also lots of 744 and 748 flights to the USA as a whole, like ATL-ICN and IAD-LHR.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m in Florida, even though I’ve also travel to NY every year, so maybe I can catch a flight from EWR to FRA one day on the LH 747-8!

2 Likes

I don’t understand why they are stopping production on the 748F when it is one of the best cargo options out there.

I will miss the Queen.

5 Likes

F in the chat for the Queen. I haven’t had the chance to fly on one and unfortunately I dont think I will.

4 Likes

Seems like I’ll never get to fly on a 747 anyway😔. It was such an important and special aircraft for Boeing and people worldwide…

1 Like

Not even the 747-8. Well, this is the end of an aircraft that has changed aviation as we know it

1 Like

Most of the orders are already delivered. Freighter demand was never going to sustain the 748 program, it needed passenger orders and those never came in the volume Boeing needed. Like the A380, no one needs those planes right now.

8 Likes

Well…lets get an F in chat for the 747 - its been over 50 years but I guess it’s time has come.

I wonder what Boeing will make to replace it. I guess the 777X is replacing the 747.

2 Likes

The 777X will replace it to an extent, but remember the 747 has the unique ability of nose door loading, so cargo size isn’t restricted by the size of a side door, the only restriction is the size of the fuselage itself. For that reason I’m wondering if Boeing or another company will come forward with a new twin-engine aircraft type that can fill that niche in the future. I guess time will tell.

2 Likes
3 Likes

To add to that, take the 747-8F out of the equation, and what becomes the default option? A 744BCF or 777F, I don’t think Boeing actually stands to lose all that much since Airbus (or anyone else for that matter) doesn’t really have a great counter. Boeing has a very strong grip on the freighter market right now between the 737F, 757F conversions, 767F/conversations, 777F, and the 747, Airbus for there part really only has the A330F to my recollection. Maybe some small scale A320Fs if I remember correctly.

1 Like

There will sure be a gap in the freighter market. Good bye queen of the skies production line, gone but never forgotten.

1 Like

I would speculate that the existing 747 freighters (both -400 and -8 variants), along with the Volga-Dnepr fleet and Antonov Airlines’ AN-225 will be kept around forever with life-extension options like the 737-200 Combis for their unique capabilities.

The other freighters on the market can handle most of the other mission profiles while the -400 and -8 can handle the outsized cargo. I would also speculate that UPS may start offloading some of their older -400s to specialty outfits in favour of large twins (777X-F?) for some of their requirements.

6 Likes