Boeing: Lightest. Metal. Ever.

Check out this awesome video I found on Boeing’s YouTube. It’s a new kind of super light metal that they are making. They say this could be used on future aircraft. Check out the video and tell me what you think.

13 Likes

I saw this a few weeks ago. Looks pretty cool.

2 Likes

Is it a duplicate? I searched it and didn’t find anything.

1 Like

I don’t think so. It was just in my recommended on YouTube. :)

2 Likes

Nope, I think your good :)

1 Like

I saw this about a year ago. Don’t think it’s a dream material guys :p it is only useful for flooring and a couple of other minor applications.

I think that 3D printing and engineering replicas of micro structures is upon us. Bones, vehicles, top water and submersible crafts, aero and space technology. It’s only seems our habit is to further mimic nature using less with far better wear and tear. I read about a year and two months ago that Boeing had plans to drop a fully loaded 787, 25 stories, with all the big wigs and who’s who of Airbus, strapped to luxurious microlattice constructed seats just to prove the egg drop test:)

2 Likes

I saw this when the video was first released on October 6th last year

That’s so cool

Yes, so hopefully thay have made a lot of progress.

1 Like

Live stream please.

1 Like

What do you mean?

1 Like

Wow! your smart:-)

I watched that before. Carbon Fiber is very light i would say.

And this is even lighter!

This would be amazing for aircraft, I do wonder if it would withstand a landing force. Because they compared it to bones, but this material would be facing far greater forces than what is needed to break a bone.

1 Like

It is not actually usable for landing forces. They stated its only current use could be for flooring on the plane

Yes, I think they have a lot of work to do before they release it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.