Boeing Launches 737NG freighter Project

But Boeing has already modified the aircraft, it stands leveled when compared to the tarmac.

Then what are we discussing?

We were originally discussing how leveling the aircraft could remove cargo space inside the aircraft. I was asking if tail strike risk was reduced due to the longer front wheel.

I misunderstood then. But chasing the height of the noise wheel wouldn’t help I don’t think. The plane needs to reach a certain angle to take off, whether the gear is taller doesn’t matter.

Actually, I know this is a bit of topic, but Boeing developed the first computer program, AutoCAD, to design and test their planes. The 767 was the first plane to be fully assembled in a computer.

A taller nose wheel, leveling the aircraft. would reduce the pressure pilots need to make on the yoke to take off. In my opinion.

I can see this as a 757F replacement. I think it’ll do great.

1 Like

This could really lead to 737 MAX Freighters if the NG Freighters get split scimitars

1 Like

Full article:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/boeing-edge/news/boeing-launches-next-generation-737-boeing-converted-freighter-program.page

Copyright 1995 - 2016 Boeing

Boeing launches Next-Generation 737 Boeing Converted Freighter program
On Feb. 24, 2016, Boeing launched the Next-Generation 737-800 Boeing Converted Freighter with orders and commitments for up to 55 conversions from seven customers, including: YTO Airlines, China Postal Airlines, GE Capital Aviation (GECAS), SF Airlines, Cargo Air, and two unannounced customers.

The 737-800 is the first Next-Generation 737 that Boeing has offered for conversion. This standard-body converted freighter will primarily be used to carry express cargo on domestic routes.

The 737-800BCF carries up to 52,800 pounds (23.9 metric tons) of cargo, flying routes of nearly 2,000 nautical miles (3,690 kilometers). Twelve pallet positions – 11 standard pallets and one half-pallet – provide 5,000 cubic feet (141.5 cubic meters) of cargo space on the main deck. Detailed information is available online at:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/freighters/#/design-highlights/737-800bcf/advantages/

The first 737-800BCF is expected to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2017.

2 Likes

A would have the upper hand again, if they decide to develop an A320/A321 freighter. Containers in the belly and on top. Cargo volume in general.

Welcome t the forum!

I would think that the B738 BCF is aimed at replacing the B732 and B757PF with newer and more efficient airframes. Would think that MD11 / 12’s would need to be replaced with similar wide bodies such as the A330F or B767 / B777

2 Likes

I must admit I don’t have the different fuel consumptions to hand so cant give an accurate answear…but would say that yes whilst per trip it would only be a small difference, over a year of operation this would still add up nicely.

Also would have to factor in costs of maintenance as well as crew training. Range of the aircraft would also have a factor (B737BCF has range of about 2000nm) . Still think that the MD12s will be more likely to be replaced by A330F / B777s, depending on requirements of the operator.

…Actually just found this interesting article online about replacements for the B757 (apologies for slightly off topic) which has the below table which is interesting.

full article here http://www.aircraft-commerce.com/sample_articles/sample_articles/fleet_planning_2_sample.pdf

1 Like

lol…it is a bit like the day job…talking of which I had better go and do that !! :)

Good idea - I predict success.

There will be hundreds of older 737-800s being retired in the next few years, as airlines re-fleet to the 737 Max / A320 NEO series.

So the airframes should be acquired quite cheap before conversion. I wonder if FedEx could find a niche for this size plane? Sometimes the 757 must be over sized for certain missions.

1 Like

maybe these could be good replacements for 727 freighters for airlines that have them

Succes! I hope TnT airways buy some of these Beauties!!

3 Likes