Boeing is Designing a Commercial Aircraft for One Pilot

Yea, no one to talk to except you, an FA every now and then an ATC. So boring, I want a companion when flying!!

2 Likes

Oh geez, imagine if @anon66442947 is at the controls of a single-pilot big passenger jet… 🍺😴💥

2 Likes

Other members of the flight crew or passengers can entertain. If the pilot opens the cockpit doors…

That’s nothing new, the 208 is a commercial aircraft with one person same as a PC 12, heck the Cessna 525 can be flown as a single pilot

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong @anon93248082, but once you start operating it as a commercial aircraft don’t different regulations require two pilots? I may be wrong but I thought I heard that somewhere…

1 Like

Nope you can have one Pilot depending on company, our Astars, Long rangers and Some 212s and our412 are Single pilot operation

Boeing,you’re number 1 but you just want to kill your self right now.

I think that this is not a good idea however, I don’t see how they are going to overcome all the issues.

I feel like this isn’t completely absurd. I’m not a huge fan of this idea, but it doesn’t seem impossible.
I’m not quite sure what the third person would do in the old 3-person cockpits, but I’m sure people were wondering at that time about safety issues once computers started taking over the work of the flight engineer (which is what I believe the third crew member was called; I’m definitely no expert). However, I think computers have mostly helped the aviation world rather than hurt it, so if the right steps are taken, I’m sure this one-pilot idea might not be too outrageous.

That won’t work Boeing. Safety should be their top priority; clearly this isn’t the case if they come up with a suggestion like this :(

That brings a new issue - pilots falling asleep when they shouldn’t 🤔

1 Like

I feel like this is just talk and boasting. I will only belive it when it is released and the prototype flies.

1 Like

I think that this is a horrible idea as something could happen to the pilot and a back up would be needed. If there was a back on the plane, why don’t they just use a normal aircraft.

Oh no. Not entirely sure why this is even being considered. Huge safety concern for many reasons.

2 Likes

the pilot could get sick, or it would be an easy way for a suicidal pilot to commit suicide (germanwings 2014)

1 Like

lets just say this… There is a reason why there are two pilots…

1 Like

just for the record, computers don’t do all of the work. While flight computers have made commercial planes easier to operate, there can still be glitches. For example, everyone remember when that plane landed in the Hudson back in '09? Well the blackbox data that was recovered after that crash said that the right engine still had thrust. However the captain of that plane had enough experience to feel the engine loose power. Computers help with planes, but computers shouldn’t take over flying.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.