Boeing is Designing a Commercial Aircraft for One Pilot

Saw this article about Boeing creating a commercial aircraft:

I believe this has tremendous saftey concerns because the pilot could be incapacitated and the aircraft would eventually crash. This would also not work for aircraft in the EU because if they have more than 20 seats the require a second pilot. Let me know what you guys think.

14 Likes

What if the pilots becomes sick?

10 Likes

The risks outweigh the benefits, one pilot is just too risky.

25 Likes

I agree with that statement

Boeing. Please no. Please. You are asking for issues with the EU and FAA.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t be a good move by Boeing. This could cost thousands of jobs if this becomes a major deal. Plus look at what happened to Germanwings. If a pilot is suicidal or has a mental breakdown, then who knows what could happen! If I were in charge of Boeing, then I would stay away from that opportunity.

13 Likes

Ground cracks as thousands of Boeing fanboys make the switch to Airbus.

Well, maybe I’m the only one doing that. In all seriousness, Boeing should not carry on with this idea unless they can make a plane anything proof.

13 Likes

I say go through with this, just more mental tests that are very tight and you should be more physically fit than your average pilot.

2 Likes

As most are saying this doesn’t seem very reasonable, coming from a fan of Boeing aircraft.

Yeah this is not a good idea at all. First off it’ll just leave the responsibility of carrying 100 pax+ to one pilot to be too much given that the pilot could become incapacitated at any time and then it’ll leave the plane with nobody to control (unless there’s a pilot traveling as a passenger but that’s by circumstance. Second of all if they raise the minimum bar for the mental/physical tests it’d most likely reduce the number of pilots eligible to fly the aircraft, and already there’s a global shortage that is predicted to become greater. Third of all it’d just basically ruin that job sector (well yes airlines would reduce costs which is their goal) but given that already pilots have complained of having not enough rest in between flights, or just being too tired from how long a flight can be (like the crew complaints on QF9). Leaving a single pilot who’d most likely be having the same fatigue as pilots encounter today would just raise the potential risk of accidents whether it be major or minor. Now the article did mention about cargo operations having single pilot cockpits however wouldn’t Fed Ex 705 have a higher chance of repeating again because it’d be easier for pilots to repeat it as there would be nobody to stop them and they wouldn’t risk anyone as it’s a cargo plane.

2 Likes

I wonder who would buy that plane? Hmmmmm???

Ryanair would definetely buy 500 of those planes if they get passed by the EU

6 Likes

This will be too dangerous, in five years there will be no pilot or captain on board…

Bad choice

1 Like

Funny how everyone thinks that Boeing will just get rid of one pilot in the cockpit without major changes to the cockpit itself and the procedures. Don’t you think they had done some research before they even started talking about this?
I’m sure pilots will eventually become observers rather than operators, so a one-pilot cockpit is not a possibility. It’s the future.

1 Like

Funny how Boeing wants to keep “the pilot in the equation” instead of automating more to prevent human error, but decides to remove a pilot. That is even worse, because two brains think better than just one, which will increase human error. In my opinion it is a dangerous idea, and should not be further developed. This my only my opinion though.

1 Like

While this would only leave one pilot at the controls, I doubt there would only be one pilot on the plane. All commercial airliners these days have (at least) two engines, two radios, two of every indicator, two of everything. Having only one pilot makes no sense.

Where it might cut down on pilots is changing the required number from three to two. On long flights, Lufthansa and most (if not all) other airlines have at least three pilots onboard, each handling 2/3 of the flight. Some airlines might have two complete crews. There’s always two in the cockpit, and a third resting. Flying all of a flight that can be 8 or 18 hours long is impossible.

Having a plane which only requires one pilot means that one pilot could fly while the other rests. If both pilots are scheduled to fly a portion of the flight that’s an hour less than the legal max they can fly, and the flight is never more than an hour from an emergency field, then there’s no problem at all and you can have fewer pilots!

3 Likes

I think some of us are forgetting that this isn’t just taking our current planes and getting rid of a pilot. Boeing is working on new technology and a new cockpit that would allow for only one pilot to operate a flight safely.

However, I do think that it might be a bit early to do this on passenger planes… they did mention trying this out on cargo planes first, which I personally wouldn’t mind. And I definitely think only having 2 pilots on long haul flights is bound to happen very soon.

Eventually, this is going to happen. The question is, when, not if. And, depending on what their timeframe for this is, it is probably a little bit early. Even if not too early for our technology, it’s too early for the public’s own safety concerns. This will probably have a better view in the public’s eye once self-driving cars are widely used. Then again, complete self-driving cars are going to be coming very soon.

I am all for self-driving cars, as the #1 cause of car crashes are definitely human error. However, with planes… it’s a bit different. I’m not statistically sure about this, but from what I can tell it’s normally a combination of human error and mechanical failures. I’m not quite sure whether or not I agree with this… but, if the technology is 100% ready in the future, then I probably won’t mind.

2 Likes

Boeing isn’t just going to sell this airplane anytime soon with no changes in FAA/EU rules and regulations. This is a concept. Maybe one day this will become a reality.

Just imagine how boring it would be to sit there, just you, for 10+ hours…

6 Likes

Good luck getting this past the FAA.

2 Likes