Boeing E-3 Sentry (AWACS)

Hey community, I live near a military base so I see these planes about every other day and always wanted to see them implemented in Infinite Flight. They are usually used as weather instruments but also for surveillance and communications. I’ve also found them interesting because of the giant dome above the main body and makes them easy to spot. I feel that military fliers in this simulation would appreciate this addition because it adds more variety to the planes. This wouldn’t be out of place because it can be next to the forgotten experimental 747-SCAs and 747-SOFIAs. Just spare one vote and help add this beauty into IF. Thank you.

I’ve also looked up the topic and didn’t find it

Perhaps if the devs do something like a “combat update” with some new fighters, G-force replications, and perhaps weapons, this could be a really cool addition. In DCS world, there’s an enemy and an allied AWACS that spawn every 500 miles. This could be very interesting If implemented.

1 Like

Heyo! I would love to vote but I’m all out.

1 Like

That would be neat. I remember something like this in X-plane 9 (long time ago) I believe where there was a carrier that went around NY harbor and there was some weird simulation. (I was only about 7 at the time of XP9 but yes)

1 Like

I’ll see if I can pull a few strings so I can vote

1 Like

I voted! And have 3 to spare.

2 Likes

Great request and I’ve happily cleared up a vote for this! I was lucky enough to fly on a NATO AWACS a long time ago courtesy of a good friend who was aircraft commander. Below is a picture I took at Geilenkirchen air base in Germany.

With regards, B4ND1T

Fun fact:

The E3 Sentry is an AEW&C aircraft with only the E3-D is which is the UKs version being officially designated Sentry AEW Mk1. All the other variations are just Sentry or AWACS.

The difference between Sentry and AWACS is actually quite big, although they operate the same radar type for the most part (AN-APY), there are 2 different versions of that. The AN-APY1 & 2, only after the E3-C variant did the aircraft begin having the AN-APY2 radar installed. Sentry has a completely different mission kit compared to any other E3, and is also the only variant with CFM56 engines rather than Pratt-Witney that you see in the OPs topic.

It would be great to see this aircraft, that I hold very dear in IF, but it actually would have zero use. We fly in circles for 8 hours a day while we conduct missions, that’s not available in IF without some dramatic changes unfortunately.

1 Like

Lemme give this a bump

1 Like

If we ever have a C-17 and F-18 rework, this must be added.

Bumping, ladies and gents I present the ultimate airborne air control platform the E-3 Sentry. This aircraft is truely remarkable and thats not just from my own experience with working with it and the aircrews of the 966th AACS and the 964th AACS. So if you have a vote to give over lets add more diversity into IF. Cheers IFC!

Below are USAF specs for the aircraft.

You can read up more about this ac at the following link.

1 Like

I saw the NATO Tiger Squadron last year !

3 Likes

Wow thats an awesome livery they did up for it! I hope they do a new one for this years Tiger meet.

You’re all showing the ugly versions of this aircraft… if you want votes, use these girls… meet the E3-D, UK variant.

3 Likes

I would fly this plane so much on so many missions!

1 Like

Are you a member of GAF mate? Sounds like we could be right up your street…

1 Like

I am not unfortunately. But I’m sure this plane would aid in the recruiting! Lol

1 Like