Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress

Ah yes, the Flying Fortress. One of the most famous bombers of the Second World War! As you can see by my name, I am possibly a fan of her?

First things first, yes, I know that there had recently been a feature request for this old bird to be added, but with not very much detail of the aircraft as you will be able to see if you decide to visit, so I decided to recreate with more detail!
https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/boeing-b-17-g/42372

History of The Aircraft

The first model of the B-17 was first flown on the 28th of July, 1935 in a competition against other bombers including the Douglas B-18. The USAAC saw the beast of an airplane and decided it was the one for the job. Believe it or not, the name was made by a reporter named Richard Williams from the Seattle times when he had said, “that plane looks like a Flying Fortess”. The aircraft entered service with the USAF in 1941 and had served in combat until the end of the war.

Specifications

Crew: Up to 10
Wingspan: 103ft 9in
Length: 74ft 4in
Height: 19ft 3in
Powerplant/Engines: 4 Wright R-1820-97 Cyclone Turbo Supercharged Radials
Range: 3,295nm
Service Ceiling: 36,400ft
Rate of Climb: 900ft/min
Payload: Up to 8,000 of fuel or ordinance (If bombs are ever added to Infinite Flight (just for laughs)).

Operators

Currently, there are only 12 B-17s left flying, with 10 of them being G models. Throughout war time and post war, many different Air Forces had still used the B-17s including:

• United States of America
  • Canada
  • Brazil
  • Columbia
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Germany
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Portugal
  • Soviet Union/Russia
  • United Kingdom

Here is a short clip from another simulator that manages to beautifully show the B-17G!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsPjn1L0elw

I hope that I have been able to interest some users out there into considering the B-17G being added to Infinite Flight as in my opinion, we need more tail draggers added, especially with cockpits as there are currently none.

Fly safe!

love it I join the request

1 Like

Then hit that vote button! ;))

Out of votes but we need this. I love the B-17 to death.

5 Likes

The Soviet Union used these…? I know the US and USSR were allies at one point but I didn’t know they were that friendly! :)

1 Like

I get what you’re saying although, the USSR and USA were never really that friendly with each other. This B-17 wasn’t really “donated” to them and was more stolen.

"This formerly aircraft of the 358th BS, 303rd BG, 8th AF USAAF was repaired and by Soviets after an emergency landing behind their lines in Spring 1945. Later was used by Soviet 45th TBAD (Heavy Bomber Division), delivered on July 11, 1945."
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/439/1/0

1 Like

Oh I see! I think this happened with a B-29 too! (I think the Soviet version was called the TU-4 or something like that) but I think that’s really interesting! Thanks for informing me about that! :)

1 Like

Oh yes, the Tu-4, and no problem I enjoy helping others out!

1 Like

I love this request and aircraft. The Confederate Air Force operates one of these relatively nearby in Houston, so I get to see it quite frequently oveeahead and at air shows.

1 Like

Oh I love it! Great photo! Also thanks for all the detail put into the post.

1 Like

Germany used B17s? I doubt that lul. Can you provide me more info ( via dm ) ?

Hmm… Nah! I don’t think so! 😂

1 Like

You should see their “version” of the reverse engineered B-29, the TU-4

2 Likes

Possibly? Haha it has always been one of my favorite airplanes ever!

1 Like

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b17_22.html

Didnt know that. But they werent really “operated”, thats what got me a little confused. Thanks for the link, extremely interesting !

1 Like

No problem. Cheers! :)

1 Like

The Luftwaffe had a few captured B-17s during the war :)

Got informed pretty well, wasnt aware of that!

1 Like

Nice to see a feature request that isn’t just a photo. The B-17 is one of my favorite prop aircraft.

1 Like