Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress (All Variants)

The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
![image](upload://dE6C8w3dEwcQqGxPHWbICUduqBi.jpeg)

History
The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress is a heavy bomber used predominately in the Second World War. It is the third most produced bomber of all time. It was mainly used in 1944 on the Western Front, during the Invasion of France, and the bombing of German cities. The aircraft also had use in the Pacific Theater, where it conducted raids against Japanese shipping and airfields. Other than its use as a military aircraft, the plane also had use as a transport, antisubmarine aircraft, drone controller, and search-and-rescue aircraft. The aircraft was retired in 1968, when the Brazilian Air Force seized use.

Operators
The Flying Fortress had many uses as both a Military and Civil Aircraft.

All Operators- Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, France, Germany as Beuteflugzeug (captured aircraft), Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Portugal, South Africa, ROC, Soviet Union, Switzerland, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America.

Why We Need It
It is undeniable that Infinite Flight is lacking good, quality, historic aircraft. The need for an enrichment of the IF fleet is clear. Sure we could keep adding airliner after airliner, but there is a limit to that. There are so many aircraft that could be added away from the 21st Century. This includes aircraft other than the B-17. However, this historic and iconic aircraft is a great place to start.

Sources and Disclaimers: Wikapedia
Disclaimer: I mentioned that Germany captured a B-17 in WW2 and used it under their name. Obviously, I do not want Nazi Germanies Emblem in IF. This was just for informational purposes.
Another Disclaimer: For simplicities sake, I included all variants under one topic.

Great request. My favorite would be the G variant because of the chin turret. Don’t forget to vote for your own thing!

4 Likes

I love this idea! … I bet the developers would have their hands full on this one. But imagine being able “sit” or view from the ball turret and rotate around or opening the bombing bay doors and seeing the ground below. EPIC!

Not sure, watch the Memphis Bell. I think you’ll love the idea.

Let’s get this one going and vote it up!

5 Likes

This would be such a great set of planes in infinite flight!

1 Like

You got my vote!! 👍🏼 The B-17 would be stunning to see and even more of treat to hear those engines spool up to speed!

I want the Memphis Belle!!!

4 Likes

I can see so many fun activities regarding Oshkosh with this. Count me in!

5 Likes

That would be so dope

2 Likes

Ahhh hearing the engines would be amazing.

I second the Memphis Bell!

3 Likes

I agreed! Let’s get this thread going! Love the energy here!

2 Likes

Sitting in the ball turret or having the bomb bay doors open would be amazing!! 🙌🏼

I would also add that there should be only one color - army green, but the different livery’s would consist of different “pin-up” art on the nose of the plane.

2 Likes

Love the ideas of pinups.

1 Like

I want the Piccadilly Lily II

1 Like

Nice aircraft. We need more warbirds.

3 Likes

They might be able to do pinups but they have to be appropriate

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. More warbirds please!

4 Likes

Voted! I would love to see this in IF. Flying at old Military airports and bases like Chino! image

2 Likes

Bumping this Feature Request, we need more warbirds in IF!

2 Likes

Who else wants more warbirds in IF?

2 Likes

Sadly out of votes

2 Likes