Boeing 787 Family Rework

There are quite a lot of things to do if the devs were to refine the 787 up to A320/A350 standards, so I doubt a soft rework would do at this point. New liveries would make it more appealing, but then it is a short term stopgap. There are many details missing with the 787 (fans spinning wrong direction and only one engine type is modelled, missing SLG on the 78X etc.), so to have the 787 up to A350 standards would require more than a soft rework, but in the rare case that the 787 gets chosen for a complete rework I’d be quite content.

7 Likes

Same could be said about the Soft A330 rework. A minor rework to tweak or add a few things can suffice for the time being, as the 787 is still a fairly new plane model in IF, and functions properly compared to other aircraft.

I never said or meant that a Soft rework would be enough at this point, but rather they could choose to add a few more liveries and fix few things or go for a full rework, where they bring the 787 up to current A350 standards. That which would take much more time, maybe a drawback to some extent, but on the other hand, if the demand is high enough and the time spent is proven to be worth the while, then a full rework will be a better choice in the long run.

It’s more compelling to rework the whole model, to make it more realistic, to eliminate the insufficient parts and make it up to par with the level of quality that the Devs are hoping to bring all of the planes in the fleet to bu, if time is a concern and the 787 not being too old, then choosing to soft-rework, and letting it be somewhat better than before for another 1-3 years may be a path to walk.

7 Likes

Well the updated physics and extra liveries was still a temporary stopgap for the A330, a complete rework is still necessary, which is what I’m saying for the 787 as well. But I do agree, that a soft rework wouldn’t hurt, although I disagree it would necessarily bring the 787 up to A350 standards, because that itself would require an entire rework.

4 Likes

True said, more work would be required to bring it up, which I think will benefit them more in the long run than to put it in a stopgap as the A330. I mean then, they have put through the time and effort to bring the 787 where they wanted it to be, and that’s that, it won’t be the easiest task in the world, but in the end it will be worth it.

If they were to soft-rework, which I don’t have anything against either, that’s a path to choose, if they believe that the 787 can survive being in the middle of half done and half not, theoretically.

Only time will tell how and what they decide to do, but in the end, one day they will fully rework it, eventually, so hoping forward to see that day.

Thank You for holding this minor discussion with me, and you’ve got some good thoughts and reasoning, see you around :)

5 Likes

I definitely agree that an entire 787 rework is a worthwhile task, given how MANY people still choose to fly an outdated 787, it clearly has a large fanbase, yet strangely this feature thread only has 20 votes, which is severely disappointing. I too look forward to the day the 787 is giving working instruments and extra liveries.

7 Likes

I think many people have reached their voting limit so even they wanted to they were unable.

2 Likes

I find this VERY unnecessary. The 787 is one of the best planes in infinite flight. It has wing flex, and just because it doesn’t have live instruments doesn’t mean it needs a rework. Maybe this thread should be named “Live Instruments for 787.” There are planes that are in desperate need for a rework, such as the E-Jet family and the 717.

6 Likes

I also think that old pax aircraft series like the 717 and A340 should be eliminated since they’re all getting out of service this year in real life. Instead IF could’ve used some cargo liveries on the 747, 757, and 767 types and hopefully give them a physics update soon.

2 Likes

The devs are never going to just get rid of a plane like the 717, which is rework-able. The planes should stay in the game because they are going out of service. I find it completely gross that people can’t respect legendary aircraft just because they aren’t as good as newer ones.

8 Likes

But there are too many planes to rework. The devs rework aircraft based on popularity. The 717 is one of the least popular aircraft in IF.

4 Likes

There is absolutely NO reason for that. The devs can gradually rework planes until the whole fleet is done, then all the nine-year olds will be happy that they got their A220 added to the game.

10 Likes

They may put it under “legacy aircraft” so people who wanted to fly the 717 or A340 can still find them there. Just saying that IF should keep their main aircraft selections as up-to-date as possible so people can have the best quality experience.

1 Like

You’re not wrong in saying that other aircraft are in desperate need of a rework. However, sometimes quality isn’t the only factor when it comes to deciding which aircraft should be reworked because demand plays a part in deciding that as well. Think about it, what is the point of the devs spending all their effort working on the 717 when only very little people fly it? Even if it means sacrificing the quality of older aircraft, the needs of the majority (a 787 rework) would be met and a larger majority would therefore be satisfied.

7 Likes

Exactly said.

1 Like

Personally, I’d be Happy with just a Live Cockpit… as I’m aware of the requirements from the dev team to redo the 3D just to incorporate Gear Tilt. The 787 is even now in it’s current state a very good airplane and only needs minor updates… I’m sure over time the Devs will figure out how to “retrofit” old airplanes with Gear Tilt much easier like they have with Wing flex.

4 Likes

I get that. I’m saying that there is no reason to remove an aircraft that some people like (like me.) And the devs reworked the A-10.

3 Likes

Well the A10 is slightly different in that it contributed to improved realism and the implementation of working instruments in other aircraft. It wasn’t just another old reworked aircraft, but it was a stepping stone towards the path of improved realism. At this point I can’t say much, I’m not sure which course of action the developers would take, one that would prioritize an updated fleet or one that satisfies demands, either way I’m appreciative of what they turn out.

2 Likes

Removing aircraft for not being realistic would in my opinion be, not only disrespectful to the devs who originally worked on it, but also disrespectful to all the avgeeks who like flying older aircraft.

5 Likes

Exactly my point, @Bren_McDonell and @Pinecone. There’s no reason to remove aircraft, because what if other people want to fly them? They can’t. So I get it if y’all don’t like the 717, but completely removing it? Really? If they did that, the C-17 would’ve been removed ages ago, but it wast, because they’re NOT removing any aircraft currently. If people want to fly retired planes, they can, it’s their choice. If we removed retired planes, we wouldn’t have the spitfire, P-38 and DC-10. But we have those, and they’re already retired. So the retired DC-10 gets added, but we can’t rework a plane that’s still in service with large airlines like delta? The DC-10 was retired in real life ages ago, but the 717 is staying in service (with delta) well into the 2020’s. So o really don’t see your points to remove the 717. I get that you don’t like it, but removing it is ridiculous.

5 Likes

Delta says AT the very least 2025

3 Likes