Boeing 787 Engines suffer corroding forcing airlines to Proceed urgent Maintenance

“Air New Zealand said problems with Rolls-Royce engines on its aircraft have forced the carrier to ground some international flights”

6 Likes

No! Not the Rolls Royce!

6 Likes

That’s why my favourite engine General Electric 😉 especially GE NX

3 Likes

Hopefully the issue doesn’t cause too many issues with flight schedules.

1 Like

Wow, the 787-9 is relatively new. To have corroding already on it’s engines is a bad sign.

4 Likes

They always have GE as an option, remember that.

5 Likes

Started with ANA B787 now extending to other. Not looking good right now for future RR engines on Boeing aircraft.

1 Like

I’m truly terrified right now my flight to London on Virgin Atlantic is a 787 with RR engines…

1 Like

I can confirm, as of last night. 5 international flights have been cancelled from Air New Zealand.
In fact on a flight from Japan they shut an engine off, and from Auckland to Chile, they turned around due to engine issues

1 Like

It’s actually only recently started affecting them. It’s been an issue for a while with ANA and Virgin Atlantic.

3 Likes

Actually to add to that, the engine on the Air New Zealand aircraft (ANZ99) failed after takeoff, with the fans being ripped apart

1 Like

via newshub

(engine damage)

2 Likes

Ouch that looks bad, hope they’ll be able to fix that soon …

1 Like
1 Like

GE would be a good alternative, they never dissapoint!

1 Like

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b204566&opt=0

This post explains why the B789s are grounded right now. After checking the affected flight all B789s in ANZ’s fleet were found to need thorough engine maintenance but that Rolls Royce has no engines available to swap out to continue the B789 flights. Until engines are available for replacement the current engines look to need to be sent to a RR facility for overhauls. This affected ANZ B789 flight occurred a day after a previous one were abnormal engine vibrations were detected, thus why the engine checks were undertaken by ANZ on their B789 fleet.

2 Likes

Auckland to Argentina* :)

3 Likes

And here we observe a General Electrics vs Rolce Royce argument while Pratt And Whitney gets completely blanked

3 Likes

Air nz 787-9 which are still flying

1 Like

Glad that Qantas uses General Electric engines on their 787

2 Likes