Boeing 777 Landing Gear - An Open Letter To The Developers

https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/boeing-777-landing-gear/347296/4

To whom it may concern,

I would like to raise two points on the Boeing 777’s landing gear. To begin, there are differences in the appearance, structure, and function of the main landing gear between each variant. Secondly, the rear axle of the main landing gear is steerable to help it maneuver on the ground, and this feature is present on all variants.

The current 777 in-game is inaccurately modeled, and the landing gear should not be the same between the 77E, 77L, 77W, and 77F. In reality, the landing gears across each Boeing 777 variant have different aspects, such as the shape of the torque link, the presence or absence of an SLG strut, the presence or absence of a steerable main gear, and the presence or absence of an articulating link.

Fig 1. 777-200/200ER/300 (772/77E/773) landing gear - “Squatted” torque link, presence of an articulating link with hoses and wires

Fig. 2. 777-300ER (77W) landing gear - Triangular torque link, the presence of an SLG strut in place of the articulating link on the previous variant

Fig. 3. 777-200LR/777F (77L/77F) landing gear - It is similar to the 77W’s gear, minus the SLG strut

As seen here, the landing gears of each Boeing 777 variant are varied. Also note that the rearmost axle of each main gear is steerable to help with maneuvering on the ground, this is a feature present on all 777 variants.

Fig. 4. A simplified illustration of the steerable rear axle on the main landing gear, actuated by a hydraulic jack and a long rod, pivoting on the rear “tail” of the chassis.

Therefore, these features and differences should be taken into account to maintain the high standards of new aircraft additions into the simulator.

Thank you for your attention to this subject matter.

Amendment: I hope to receive your opinion regarding this subject matter, as well as from experts in the industry who can educate me on this topic.

69 Likes

The 777 family is currently being reworked so these details may be included.

25 Likes

You learn something new every day. This community is the best, and cheapest ground school one could ever hope for

22 Likes

Good effort!

2 Likes

I should thank my friend Matt for helping me with this post - he is the one who pointed these differences out, and provided the pictures. It is a collective effort to point this out to the developers.

3 Likes

I am glad I have helped. A good airman is always learning.

5 Likes

I hope the devs see this! I’m sure they’d model the gears correctly, but information like this surely helps.

3 Likes

They better get the landing gears right - but some tell me it’s something of a pipe dream. Let’s just stay optimistic and hope that things will go well.

4 Likes

Doesn’t really bother me but hey, if its realism, it needs to be done.

3 Likes

Well said - realism is paramount. Look at what they did with the XCUB, C130, CRJ, A10, and TBM930 - they did an excellent job. Now look at the current 777 model in-game - the GE90-110B/115B engine has straight turbine blades, and the landing gear is not done right in the aforementioned post. I really hope the devs can rectify these mistakes in this new remaster.

5 Likes

Yeah the fan blades with straight edges was one thing that bothered me greatly about the 777 - though I suppose they were modelling the GE90s after the initial variants.

3 Likes

Nothing beats the price of free.

except when you use so many coupons at fred meyers, they give you money back because they owe you.

7 Likes

Straight facts right there:)

2 Likes

Amendment: I would like to receive comment from staff and developers if possible, and I am thinking of turning this into a feature request.

2 Likes

This is certainly interesting. As stated, the aircraft is still being reworked. So it is most likely going to at least be considered.

2 Likes

Indeed it is - the 777 does have unique landing gear. I am aware that it is being rebuilt, though there are growing concerns that this information will fall on deaf ears. Thank you for your comment anyway, and have a good evening.

2 Likes

I most certain that this topic has been raised to devs by mods or the devs have seen it themselves, and im confident that they will develop the landing gear to how it is in real life.

3 Likes

One can only hope, but I swear if they nail ALL the features correctly, then that would pretty much be the only aircraft I’d fly in IF. I’m telling you…there are many, many tiny details because of how many 777 variants there are.

5 Likes

Is this swivel axle also present on the A380 and A350-1000?

2 Likes

The A35K is not known to have steerable main gear, however the A380 does indeed have steerable gear. The six wheel bogies are able to swivel, as opposed to just the rear axles swiveling on the 777.

3 Likes