Boeing 777-200ER engine data

Introduction

Before 20.1, I was asking if the developer modelled the different engine to each of their performance. After the patch dropped, I have decided to perform static fires and see how the engines are going to give me. I have to say that it’s quite disappointing from the start after I checked multiple liveries, their fuel flow is the same even if they are using different models. It’s possible the FADEC took over and make them all the same, but I believe the developers selected one model and pursue with its physics.

What engine is it?

The developers posted that they will make three engine models. There are PW4090, GE90, and Trent 800. Since I don’t have the data for every single of them, I can only utilise the method to discriminate them from their different sounds, and fuel burn. The baseline engine is GE90-115B on the Boeing 777-300ER. It’s estimated fuel burn is 3540kG/H per engine in the weight and balance section. The 777-200ER’s estimated fuel burn is only 3334kG/H in the weight and balance section. It means that it’s not the GE90-115B, but it can still be the 94B model. After that, I compare their startup sounds. In-game, it generates a high screech noise right after the ignition sequence starts but doesn’t have the iconic moo sound from the GE90’s combustion chamber. So GE90 is not what the developer select. After that, I compare the startup sound for the PW4090 and Trent 800. The high pitch screech only occurs on the Trent 800. So, I believe that the developers selected Trent 800 as their engine to develop along with the Boeing 777-200ER. I can be wrong in this one; please correct me if you can obtain more data for the engines.

Engine analysis

There are only two data available, fuel flow (FF) and exhaust gas temperature (EGT) I believe that the total air temperature isn’t working or it’s not modelled for the engine. As the air enters the engine, the TAT for the engine should go down from the pressure loss from the low pressure from the engine. Here are the data gathered from static fires from sea level for a single engine.

Fig 1: Throttle percentage and fuel flow.

Fig 2: Throttle percentage and EGT

As we can see, there isn’t a significate increase in fuel flow as I throttle up the engines. It means that there isn’t a max throttle setting recommended during cruise. It only comes to the wear of the engines and the fuel flow. Select an altitude for minimum fuel burn is going to save you the most amount of fuel and reduce wear of the powerplants if you are in a hardcore group.

References

Captain Joe. (2018, August 16). Why is there a white cloud? explained by Captain Joe . YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_75538z-hw

14 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 2.22.13 PM

13 Likes

My brain just shut down because I have literally 0 idea what any of that means.

3 Likes

They modeled 3 engines for the liveries but assuming because there is only 1 engine sound that they would all perform the same.

Very helpful

2 Likes

They all perform the same is from their estimated fuel burn from weight and balance.

Yeah, this is big brain time

The developers have said that they selected the GE90 for sounds, and I would assume for their performance as well (don’t quote me on the second part; I’m not 100% certain on that).

Surely this is the case with any jet engine? The more power you add, the more fuel it uses.

Also, I’m a tad concerned for some who cannot read a graph with two axes… Definitely don’t drop out of school haha.

Sometimes it isn’t. Jet engines are incredibly inefficient at idle. I believe the reason is at lower throttle settings, you don’t get that high speed exhaust, but the engines still need to run at high RPM to prevent flameouts.

1 Like

Interesting, did not know that. Learning something new every day, thanks for the info :)

1 Like

You also become slightly less efficient as you climb because of the pressure loss, but you also need less thrust since you got less air resistance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.