Boeing 747-8i

Idk if its just me but the 747-8i has a fuel problem. I was flying Frankfurt to Buenos Aires and at around São Paulo i ran out if fuel and had to belly land in a field. I followed what simbrief said but still…

1 Like

I assume you were cruising with a high pitch?

The 747 is known to have physics problems where it is less fuel efficient than it should be. Next time, you can turn your trim up to 60% which should negate that issue.

Okay thanks

1 Like

May I ask, were you step climbing? Because the higher you get, the harder your engines will have to work. This also saves fuel, but is the most effective when you’re light.

Step-climbing is not as effiecient on the 7478 as even with step climbing, the plane still burns too much fuel. Eg an 8h hour flight needs about 12h of fuel

Step climbing helps with the fuel burn issues, being from a VA that only operates 747-8s, I know that your initial climb should be around FL280-290 depending on your direction. I always take at least 3 hours more fuel than simbrief suggests, hope this helps :)

1 Like

Hello …I’m part of CLXVA and we fly 748 … Well whatever fuel value simbrief or FPLTOIF gives always take 5-10% extra fuel…
My strategy is as follows for 748 :

1. Cruise Intially at FL280-330 for 4-6 hrs
  2. Once u burned enough fuel climb higher…
  3. Once 748 become lighter it’s performance increases and it’s incredible afterwards. .
  4. 748 cruises at m.085-86…
  5. Once u r lighter it becomes more faster…
    Generally this has helped me and I’ve not ran out of fuel and always have the planned fuel left after each flight…
    Hope it helps…
    Thank you
    Hari

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.