Boeing 737 AEW&C E-7A NATO code "WEDGETAIL"

First off I’d like to formally request closure for the old topic in relation to this one.

Photo credit: Boeing: Airborne Early Warning and Control

Foreward/Introduction

At this time, I’d like to reintroduce the IFC at large to the latest in Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) platforms the E-7A “Wedgetail”. What is so unique about this platform you might be asking? The E-7A provides versatile use for tracking multiple airborne and maritime tracks (targets). With its updated network of command and control functions (C2) the E-7A can see further and real world wise provide higher efficiency in determining command level reactions and decisions in realtime battle rhythms. The E-7A is currently in use by several nations which will covered below and with plans to expand could become a part of a host of other national air forces.

Operators
Australia (RAAF)
Republic of South Korea (ROKAF)
Turkey: (TAF)
United Kingdom (RAF)

Noted Potential Customers:

United States (USAF)
Unite Arab Emirates (UAEAF)
Saudi Arabia (RSAF)

Why add the E-7A to IF

Adding the E-7A gives perspective and options to seeing a different world outside of the average aviation player’s like commercial, General and buisness aviation. It would diversify an already close net community to alow users to experience aircraft that would be restricted in most other cases.

**Capabilities **

The E-7A hosts a variety of unique capabilities that make this platform competitive to any C2 assets.

1. Air -to- Air Refueling provides extended use and longer on station/mission time

2. The Northrop Gurmman Multi-role Electronically Scanned Array or MESSA provides thr E-7A with 360 degree sensor coverage. (ATC capes/ dual control purpose aircraft)

3. The smaller Airframe allows for use of more unconventional airfield classes and access to remote areas where this platform is needed.

Airframe

The E-7A is built on a 737-700 Increased Gross Weight (IGW) Airframe.

Techincal & Flight Data

MESSA Specs:
330px-B737_AEW&C_Wedgetail_(cropped)
Photo credit: File:B737 AEW&C Wedgetail (cropped).PNG - Wikipedia

Flight Specs:

• Crew: mission: six to ten; flight: two

• Capacity: 43,720 lb (19,830 kg)

• Length: 110 ft 4 in (33.6 m)

• Wingspan: 117 ft 2 in (35.8 m)

• Height: 41 ft 2 in (12.5 m)

• Wing area: 980 sq ft (91 m2)

• **[Airfoil] B737D

• Empty weight: 102,750 lb (46,606 kg)

• Max takeoff weight: 171,000 lb (77,600 kg)

• Powerplant: 2 × [CFM International]
    [CFM56-7B27A] [turbofans], 27,300 lbf (121 kN) thrust each

Performance

• Cruise speed: 530 mph (853 km/h, 460 kn)

• Range: 4,000 mi (6,500 km, 3,500 nmi)

• Service ceiling: 41,000 ft (12,500 m)

Thank you for your time and I humbly ask for your consideration in bringing this unique platform to the Infinite Flight skies. Cheers!

Great post Andrew !!

Got my support for sure. out of votes but this would be really cool to see in the sim for the military side for sure

3 Likes

Definitely supporting, I’d adore seeing this added to IF, certainly a feature the military side of the community would use a lot! If they ever get round to re-working the current 737 family it may be time they add a military variant or two. The fact that militaries are starting to adopt this (wedge tail) and the P-8A Poseidon, I can definitely it coming to the simulator, hopefully this gains traction as I’ve in the past wanted to fly from my local RAF base and simulate some sorties, which I’ll tell you is not the worst in the generic 737-7/8/9, but the one limitation is fuel. Sadly you are unable to in flight refuel aircraft that are not perceived to be capable of such feat (it’s sensible yet annoying). If we see the likes of Lossiemouth or an American base get reworked and 3D buildings added, that have widespread use of these aircraft then I’m sure it’s sign of things to come!

1 Like

IFAE- Global Air Forces would love to see this aircraft in our fleets !! Nice post Andrew.

1 Like