Bizjets, Delayed Jumbos and a Heli Hunt | Munich, March 6, 2021

Hey again!

Successfully avoiding my Bachelor’s Thesis once again, I was back spotting on Saturday since quite a list of interesting movements was due to arrive in Munich that day.

The start was made by a plane that perfectly fits the background provided by Munich’s Cargo Terminal with its grey, a Hungarian Air Force Dassault Falcon arrived for a quick stop before returning to Hungary.

Another business jet, however one of the bigger kind departed for Moscow. After being equipped with a VIP cabin after delivery in Basel, @Marc was friendly enough to send the plane here for us to take some nice pictures shortly after delivery to Sorens Aero.

An even bigger movement was a regular flight but still a special movement since the A330 of Turkish Airlines hasn’t been in use on their Munich route in quite some time after they used their 737 for this route for quite some time now.

Speaking of 737s, Air Europa once again brought a plane with a special sticker, this time promoting Panama (@brunocr98 might like this I guess)

Moving forward in the schedule to another special move…well, since TUI has been flying their Dreamliners on cargo flights for two straight weeks already, it’s almost becoming standard traffic by now, but at least this Dreamliner still features an actual livery compared to the worn off version seen on other members of the 787 fleet.

And let’s continue with cargo, with a delay of only 90 minutes, National Airlines was as close as never before to arriving on time on their Chicago-Munich-Karaganda-Tokio-Seoul routing. Ironically, the aircraft later went AOG due to engine issues and after the departure the day after got stuck in Karaganda again, delaying the return flight massively.

Even Saturdays which are the busiest days in Munich nowadays, there a times in the schedule with absolutely no inbounds and also no or very little departures. That made me and a friend use the chance to hunt Munich’s rescue helicopter that was flying on a mission 20 kilometers away, thanks to halfway legal driving we arrived at the scene right in time for departure to get some more shots of its special livery.

After our return, we positioned ourself at the opposite site of the runway since light was becoming suboptimal for 08 operations for the landing of the day’s special from Dubai World Central. The spot gave us a bit of additional stress since it is one of the few spots where police tends to send you away or even fine you if they have a really bad day but even though several police cars passed by we were lucky enough to get a shot of FAI’s special liveried Global Express with…well, ok-ish evening light.

After the landing, we changed our spot again to get a new angle of National’s 747 departing to Chicago on the return flight from Chennai. This jumbo operated in evening light due to its tiny delay of 21 hours.

On the way back we decided to have a look at the General Aviation Terminal where our special guest was parked to check if it was possible to take pics of it through the fence. And it indeed was. Annoyingly, the first pics I still shot handheld with a rather high ISO were slightly spoiled by a car of a ramp worker taking pics as well at the same time. The light created by the sunset was amazing nevertheless.

After the car had departed I came up with a very solid solution to shoot long exposures since I had left my big tripod at home. Extending the range of my tiny tripod in my backpack with my ladder, the two of us got a chance to take shots with less noise, though also less sunset light as well. So I still can’t decide which one of the two versions I really prefer, but it’s probably this second one.

Thanks for visiting this topic! I hope you liked it! See you for the next topic, whenever it might be ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens, replaced by the 24-105 now)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/mba_muc/

Jetphotos

Recorded Flights on my YouTube channel

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials
Early Morning Cargo Movements
Government Flights at Munich
Military & Special Spotting at Ingolstadt and Neuburg AFB
DC3, Hekla Aurora and an EXPO livery at Munich
The First Visit of an Airbus Beluga XL
Summer Spotting Ending with Engine Light
IL76 Spotting in the Summer Heat
Two Weeks of Specials Summarized
Two More Days of Specials in Munich
Special Movements in September
Covid-19 Fall Spotting
P3, F18, A400M and more
Night Deicing, going to Frankfurt and more

Not the Best Weather for Spotting, but at Least There Were Specials
Spotting in Spectacular Winter Light Part 1
Spotting in Spectacular Winter Light Part 2
German Air Force 1 and more specials

Honorable mentions, TLDRs and Reminders

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again!
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again
@Balloonchaser since you will come here anyway…
@JulianB just want to be sure you don’t miss it
@CaptainHugh
@AndrewWu
@MJP_27

55 Likes

First! Great shots!

1 Like

First this time - nice photos as always!

Darn it for once I thought I’d get that haha

Final edit - really like the rare catches this time. Nice to see some business jets and that helicopter is an awesome action photo

2 Likes

I mean, at least you beat Balloon

2 Likes

50 50 50 50 50 50 50

2 Likes

Didn’t know they have an airplane with the country’s tourism logo, but I certainly like it!

1 Like

Now guess what anniversary they are celebrating haha

2 Likes

I think they’re celebrating the number 50

1 Like

or A321neo
self-named Munich Airport expert strikes again :D

1 Like

For quite some time now Moritz, I’ve enjoyed your topics for quite some time now. Great shots!

2 Likes

Well, let’s summarize it as “boring narrow-bodies” :D

1 Like

Oh no I’m late

1 Like

First! Amazing photos Moritz!!

3 Likes

Hold on, you rename your files?

I respect the dedication

1 Like

I’m late for the first time in forever 👁👄👁

Awesome photos Mortiz!

1 Like

Tri-jets 🤤🤤🤤

2 Likes

Hahahaha, well, renaming really is the least effort in my processing considering I have to

• delete bad pics
  • add airline, airport and aircraft type tags to the remaining pics in bridge
  • edit pics to standard ratio
  • create Insta thumbnails
  • create Insta swipes
  • create the picture closeups for Insta stories
  • create the animated insta stories

Also, naming them to registrations helps with uploading them to JP and finding specific planes with search features in bridge or google drive 🤷‍♂️

2 Likes

ngl, the Falcon (at least the proper one with three engines) is my favorite bizjet by far

1 Like

Cool story bro

2 Likes

I love your self-confidence 😂

1 Like