Birmingham Spotting feat. Laura and more | October 7, 2018

Hi again!

After yesterdays pictures from Zurich I’m already back again with the pics I took two days later. With my flight back from Cosford’s Flight Sim Show only leaving at 6.15 pm I had plenty of time to spend at Birmingham Airport for some special spotting. Why special you might ask - Very rarely I managed to spot flights of people I know by now, this time it even turned out to be three people at once. And you know them too ;)

The first one to depart Birmingham for its travel back to Germany was @epaga onboard this Lufthansa A320 (D-AIUG) to Frankfurt. It was great to finally meet you! (crazy it happened in the UK while we are both living in Germany)

The second plane you see here was actually a double first time for me - never spotted a Flybe plane, neither did I spot a ATR 72-500. This one was not actually flying with a forum member on board, but it was headed for one. EI-REL lining up on Runway 33 for its flight to @AdamCallow aka the Isle of Man aka English Channel (Sorry for the image quality of this one, the long distance combined with other aircraft taxiing caused some heat haze here)

I bet you know the person traveling on this aircraft wearing the flybe livery - If not you might not be part of this forum for IF reasons - so I don’t have to tag her here (lucky me, otherwise some angry mod would probably knock on my door a few seconds after posting this). Flybe’s E170 G-FBJJ shortly before departure to Lyon with Laura traveling home.

Not only did I spot planes I’ve never seen before that day, I also saw one I at least haven’t seen for a long time - Qatar Airways recently changed Munich’s service to Boeing 777 from the A350, so the last visit of a Boeing 787 from the country in the Middle East dates back quite some time.
A7-BCB

Two (or rather 1 1/2) more new aircraft to me. While TUIs German subsidary TUIfly Germany is a usual sight at my base Munich (operating 737-800s only there), Jet2 only visits us when they have some malfunctions en route. One of their 737s waiting for TUIs 757 to land.
G-JZBF_JP

Let’s finish the series of “Forum Members departing the UK” with @DirkGiessmann onboard the most beautiful livery in FlyBe’s fleet (yeah, I’m joking) on his way back to Hamburg. You’ve been a great right hand driver, Dirk! ;)

With flybe introducing their new livery I actually used the trip to the UK to take pictures of their new “retro” livery painted on G-PRPM…

…and their new “retro retro” livery worn by Dash 8 Q400 G-ECOR.

Finally this Boeing 757 (G-ZAPX) operated by Titan Airways headed to Munich turned up and marked the end of my very first session on British soil.

While I managed to note the registration of all birds I photographed I had some issues finding the reg of this one. Any one able to help? ;)

Hope you liked this little selection of my UK pics - If you did, check out my twitter where I’ll post more pic during the next days and weeks!

70 Likes
Back at the Airport | Munich, May 03/06, 2020
The Highlights of Saturday at Munich Security Conference | Munich, February 15, 2020
Military 747 Charter Pt.2 | Munich, April 16, 2019
VIP Spotting and New Perspectives | Munich, August 8, 2019
Back in the Alps | Innsbruck, March 16, 2019
Another Spotting Trip to the North | Berlin, August 29/30, 2019
Sunny Fall Spotting | Munich - November 10, 2018
A Cold Day in the Fog (and more...) | Munich, December 6, 2019
A Bit of Spotting and some Experiments | Munich, November 24, 2019
Racing for the specials | Munich, December 19, 2019
That didn't go as planned... | Munich, December 18, 2019
What to do after work... | Munich, October 10, 2019
Hunting an Icon and Tons of Private Jets | Zurich, January 21, 2020
There's also normal traffic at Zurich?! | Zurich, January 21, 2020
Air Force One Ramp Tour | Zurich, January 21, 2020
Spotting AGAIN?! | Munich, October 12, 2019
Getting trolled at the Airport | Munich, January 14, 2020
This is getting out of hand | Munich, January 9, 2020
End of the first spotting decade (I promise!) | December 29, 2019
Heavy Contrasts | Munich, January 31, 2020
As nerdy as it can get | January 6, 2020
Five Specials and a Debut | Munich, September 29, 2019
A New Perspective | Munich, March 5, 2020
A Bumpy Start into a Great Weekend | Munich, February 13/14, 2020
A little bonus: Etihad 787-9 "Choose China" | Munich, February 28, 2020
End of the Security Conference Spotting Weekend | Munich, February 16, 2020
A Final Spotting Trip | Munich, March 19, 2020
Spotting A Bunch of New Airlines | Frankfurt, June 12, 2020
Sunset Spotting for a First Visit | Munich, May 27, 2020
A Noisy Prop from the East | Leipzig, May 16th, 2020
A little more spotting | Munich (not the airport though), May 9, 2020
Farewell, Pretty Bird | Munich, May 19, 2020
Early Morning Cargo Movements | Munich, June 24th, 2020
Two Weeks of Summer Spotting | Munich, August 9 - 20, 2020
Watching White Whales | Ingolstadt/Neuburg, July 23, 2020
Being Grilled While Spotting a Special Freighter | Munich, August 8, 2020
More Special Than Regular Movements | Munich, July 3, 2020
A New Spotting Experience With Several Specials | Ingolstadt & Neuburg, July 06 & 07, 2020
Munich Security Conference Spotting | February 14, 2019
Two Days of Munich Specials and a Little Throwback | Munich, August 28/29, 2020
Summer Spotting Ending With Amazing Evening Light | Munich, July 29, 2020
Returning to the South and the Visit of an Old Lady | Munich, July 17, 2020
From Dawn till Dusk | Munich, June 7, 2019
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting | London, June 15, 2019
Winter Charter Madness | Innsbruck, March 09, 2019
A Few More Days of Specials After My Holidays | Munich, September 16-18, 2020
Spotting in the Morning Sun | Munich, May 10, 2019
Avianca Inaugural Spotting in Golden Light | Munich - November 18, 2018
A Crazy Spotting Trip | Frankfurt, August 22, 2019
Spotting on a Sunny Evening in Heathrow | London, June 14, 2019
I can stop whenever I want! | Munich, October 18, 2019
Spotting special planes | Munich - November 02/03, 2018
Catching the Retros - Rainy End of a 3 Day Spotting Trip | London, June 16, 2019
A Spotting Week in Times of COVID-19 | Munich, June 1 & 3, 2020
London Calling | Munich/London, June 14, 2019
Retro Time | Munich, March 06, 2019
Valentine's Spotting - Old, New and Special | Munich, February 14, 2019
Quick Spotting Trip for an Old Lady | Munich, March 27, 2019

Nice shots! What flight did you get back?

1 Like

I returned on LH2511 BHX-MUC :)

1 Like

Jet2holidays looks awfully like Allegiant back in the states.

Does anyone know of any connection between the 2 airlines?

5 Likes

There is no connection at all, other than they are both cheap airlines

Great pics!

1 Like

Nice photos! I really like the Jet2!

2 Likes

Awesome pictures! Can’t wait to see more!

Did you manage to get on the A320neo? Or was is a 319/320?

1 Like

@Moritz! really pictures, really cool! Thanks for helping me stay on the right side of the road 🤪
It was really an amazing event and am so happy that we all had the chance to meet and have a great weekend together! ✌🏼🎉

2 Likes

Those are some incredible pics! Keep up the great work 👍 👍

2 Likes

It was the very first A319 of Lufthansa, D-AILA named Frankfurt (Oder) :)

1 Like

How did you find out who was on what aircraft?

Well, I went to the airport with @epaga and @DirkGiessmann so I knew their flights, since the flight to Frankfurt was the only Lufthansa plane at the field it was obvious and no other E170s of flybe departed at the time of the Lyon flight of Laura. Dirks plane was a bit difficult since there were three Dash’s at once but two other spotters helped me to find out (and there’s always flightradar 😉)

4 Likes

I was just thinking the exact same yesterday. especially the tail section

Thats the Pain of leaving as one of the last ones… I didn‘t got featured ☹️ The Helvetic ERJ 190LR would fit this Spotting Session very well 😜

Great Pictures as always, I like them all 👍🏼👍🏼💪

1 Like

I believe I can.

I looked up the registration and a few other things. Here is what I came up with.

Callsign - B1RD
Registration - GR3Y
Aircraft Type - Sternus

8 Likes

You left later than me, bit difficult to get a pic of your plane then 😂 wait, I actually saw it during my takeoff 🤔

2 Likes

Thats why I said „the pain of leaving as one of the last ones“ 😂

1 Like

Jet 2 did lease some aircraft from allegiant. Not uncommon with budget airlines across the pond. Jet2 changed the livery very little, as they liked it enough, and being a budget airline didn’t have too much money to spend on repainting etc. Some of these liveries evolved to look like the Jer2 Holidays livery you see in the picture above.

A reminder that the one Moritz got a shot of (a very good shot, I must say) is the Jet2 Holidays livery, there is also the typical Grey and Red livery pictured here:

image https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2016/08/18/13/gettyimages-456368908.jpg?w768

Anyway, great shots once again Moritz!

1 Like

Really cool shots @Moritz! Well done as always. :)

1 Like