Biplanes

Anyone up for some real old classics?

Biplanes are an part of an era of aviation that has not been represented in IF and given its popularity among non-avgeeks and avgeeks, it could possibly sell well (Cheap $1.99 or $2.99 IAP could potentially sell well)

Sopwith Camel, Ford TriMotor, Antonov An-2 are some.

What do you think about this? Any biplane suggestions? Triplanes?

Best, Boeing707

5 Likes

A tiger moth or something like that would be cool. Interesting idea

1 Like

If the developer comes up with Airshow circuit consist of Air Gates like red bull Airshow. It would be cool. But at the moment Single/Twin prop, Biplene, Triplane is Novelty for lots of people. @Boeing707 I know old folks like us 😜love classic but what can we do if we are surround by Jets

Us lovers of fast jet and general/sport aviation aircraft can go to the smaller fields out in the sticks and enjoy the flying and the scenery away from the hub airports and the rabble of trash haulers and winged trains therin!

1 Like

Oskosh is GA heaven! There’s the one large airport, and a TON of small grass/paved strips radiating out. One can go on a little joyride ans whenever one needs to land, there’s airfields everywhere!

Long live the DC-9!

1 Like

I’m a Taildragger fan and BiPlanes get my attention! I had my first ride in a Waco that I helped rebuild when I was a kid and got hooked. As far as I’m concerned there is only one everlasting Bi still doing it thing. There an Airshow favorite and have an annual fly in were over 100 of these 1930 designed workhorses do there thing. Accordingly, I nominate the “Kaydet, Boeing’s STEARMAN Model 75”.
(Back in the day, in my teens I bummed around a Grass Field in Jersey that had a Banner Towing Service. it had a fleet of 5 Kaydet (x Navy WWII Trainers). I was the banner hooker one summer and washed those Birds daily after there long hauls along the Atlantic City/Margate beach front. Give me a STEARMAN 75 IF and I’ll bequeath you my 57 Chevy Convertable when I’m gone)
Just Sayin, Max Sends

1 Like

@Boeing707 I flown there, very nice and first time I nearly got altitude wrong 😁😁😁

It’s a nice place. I like the “feeling” of flying over large parches of grass/farmland.

Must br great in live cause no one flies there 😂.

Long live the DC-9!

1 Like

@Boeing707 you know what!! I’m gonna head there with Cessna today.

Stories like this are why I wish I was around in the 1950s (Not to mention the music from that period until the early 1990s was all good 😀).

Now biplanes are few and far between and most GA aircraft are the generic Cessna 150s, Beech Bonanzas, other small Cessnas and Pipers and the occasional Piper PA-31 Navajo.

Unfortunately my story of how I got intersted in aviation isn’t that interesting. I got bored of flying on the same goddamn A320s so I switched my preferred airline around and got interested in plane models (Not the 1:200/1:400 scale stuff). Hence I know more very little about ATC and ground operations 😁.

Long live the DC-9!

@Nigel_Wright, @GatwickGuy @Boeing707 I’m with you brothers:

HIGH FLIGHT:
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunwards I’ve climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds – and done a thousand things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air,
Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of god.

I swear if they put out a Pitts with the American flag emblazoned on the wings, I will buy live and we shall get together and practice synchronized flying.

That would be amazing!

But yes, the old biplanes are a novelty-So is the 747. Friends have told me stories of their relatives being disappointed to fly the 747 instead opting for the Boeing 777s, Boeing 787s, and last but certainly least, Airbus A330s (YUCK). 747 used to be the marvel of aviation but now it’s treated as an old, but cool aircraft that needs to die (And I’m sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting to schedule my first 747 flight! GAH!).

Hope I didn’t get too off topic.

Long live the DC-9!

2 Likes

You’re a poet?

Nice job (If that’s yours)!

Does the poety clapping sound (Snapping fingers right?)

Long live the DC-9!

@Boeing707 Same as old cars vs new cars where we Loved all the dials and knobs and you can listen to engine and find out what’s the problem, now with ECU auto parking-braking and electric brake it’s so boring, you can’t do donuts anymore. Same with aircraft with all the glass cockpit and gps, it’s makes it boring it look at. It’s modern vs classic problem. I’m only 35😄😄

Classic car fans: Bring on the crankable windows! I don’t want to buy a crappy Ford Econoline to get them 😢.

Classic aviation fans: Bring in the flight engineer!

😁.

Long live the DC-9’

(@Boeing707). High Flight, should have added a disclaimer or citation. The poem was written by John Gillespie MaGee in the 30/40’s. Interesting aviator see his bio in Wiki. Regards, Max

(@GatwickGuy). Agree on the Classic v Modern. I remember Buck Rogers and have watched it evolve, I’m 74. Just imagine what your future hold, Stuff Happens. The Human Mind is a wonder. Regards, Max Sends

1 Like

I grew up with taildraggers. Coming from a gliding background, all our tugs were either Chipmunks and supermunks (chipmunk with a lycoming engine instead of gypsy major) or Pawnees. Of course there aren’t many tricycle gliders either!

The Red Baron’s tri-plane would be an awesome addition, definitely! I can imagine it’d be fun to fly, and we could do heritage fly-ins at Oshkosh or something.

Red Baron was an icon in a child’s life especially because of Peanuts and the odd nature of the aircraft, so it would be a hit with random people.

Long live the DC-9!