Biggest mistake all Infinite Flight users do on Expert Server

Hello Everyone,
I’ve been an IFATC controller for a few days now and I noticed a mistake that most pilots do upon approach so I wanted to make a thread about it. I’m pretty sure other IFATC users experience the same mistake within pilots.

Most Pilots don’t know the difference between the “Call Inbound on the ILS/Visual/GPS” instruction & the Call inbound and request a specific/any runway" instruction.

Calling inbound on ILS/Visual/GPS is used once you have already established ILS/Visual/GPS approach with the runway and just want clearance for landing.
and it will come out in a request like this:
NC123 is inbound on the ILS/GPS/Visual Runway 15R with information Alpha

Calling inbound and requesting a specific/any runway is used when you are still approaching the runway and you’re not established on any runway yet and it will come out like this:
NC123 is 20 Nautical Miles to the North at 12,000ft Inbound for landing with information Alpha / Requesting Runway 15R (in case you mentioned a specific runway)

Both instruction might seem similar but each one is used in very different situations so if you didn’t know the difference between both instructions before reading this thread, I hope you get it now! :)

Do hesitate to ask anything if you want and share your thoughts down below in a reply :)

Have a good day everybody!

51 Likes

Thanks for this, would love to hear more of these. Wouldn’t be surprised if I get more things wrong haha

3 Likes

I do know the difference thankfully.
But yes thats a great point, a great clarification and reminder to fellow IF pilots to make the correct announcement! @IF-EGYPT_YT

It’s an easy mistake to make, but I always remind myself that if only tower is active with no approach/center available then simply make a request for a specific RWY X to land rather than declaring an intent to land RWY X which would be the case for approach/center when applicable.

2 Likes

As a Vatsim pilot (and IF ofc) I do say it’s very easy to make a mistake when focused on flying, trust me I’ve done it before

2 Likes

@tjb0709 Yeah, indeed i used to follow the same planning as you. If there is not approach controller, i’d go for a specific runway until i understood the actual difference between both commands when i became part of IFATC…

2 Likes

@InfiniteFlightNewark Yeah, definetly agree with you but i noticed that most people that fall for this mistake, don’t even know ehy i gave them “Please check User guide on home screen for help using ATC instructions” and that’s when i knew most people don’t know the difference.

2 Likes

As part of IFATC as well, I can tell you that this is way too accurate.

4 Likes

@Parin_Patel Glad that you can relate to this mistake. I feel like it happens too much that all IFATC members gave up on bringing it up hahah😂😭

2 Likes

And don’t forget the percentage that don’t care if they are wrong with their ATC comms, there is always at least 1👀

2 Likes

I did not know this… I mean at least I knew how and when to request sequence departures before somebody had to point it out and know I know how to use this

2 Likes

Hey Yassin, could it be that the only proper way to use the “inbound on the ILS/GPS/VISUAL” commands when a pilot is CLEARED for those approaches by an approach controller and not only ESTABLISHED on those approaches? In my opinion that’s a big difference. In absence of an approach controller and/or without such a clearance, a pilot is supposed to make its initial call to tower with “inbound for landing request rwy…”.
If a pilot uses “inbound on the ILS/GPS/VISUAL” in absence of an approach controller and/or without clearance, the tower controller just give him a pattern entry, sequence if necessary and a clearance.
This is what the ATC manual says…

Regards,
Stef

4 Likes

I get this way too many times when I control. What I do? Just give them the “check user guide for help using ATC instructions”. If they care, they DM me about it.

1 Like

I was taught you only call inbound on ILS/GPS if you were cleared by an approach controller.

2 Likes

Yeah this bugs me too. I let it slide most of the time but it makes me kinda sad people don’t know the difference between calling inbound and calling inbound on ILS, visual or GPS.
What’s even more annoying is when people report their position on final when they’ve already been cleared to land.

As a pilot you barely notice these things, you only notice them once you become a controller.

1 Like

This bugs me too and I am not even a controller

1 Like

@IF-EGYPT_YT this has all the info in 1 tiny sized pic.

10 Likes

@callaa i agree with you, as a pilot you wouldn’t notice all these mistakes but as a controller, it definitely annoys me to see it with most of the aircrafts that come in for landing…

1 Like

Thanks for the info, will help a lot!

1 Like

I think the biggest issue is how simmaler the too commands are and in a split second the pilot picks the wrong one or just doesn’t know. However I don’t remember myself doing this because they are different.

1 Like

@Stef_Smet i do get your point and you just said it yourself, an aircraft is cleared for approach when the approach phase is covered by ATC (Approach Controller). Technically, Tower does not clear aircrafts for approach instead, it clears them to land ONLY. That’s why Tower uses Pattern to navigate aircrafts around the airport while Approach doesn’t have a limit while controlling an aircraft in for an approach. So technically, once an aircraft is in pattern, it is not in the approach phase but rather in the landing phase but just waiting for it’s landing clearance by tower. That’s why an aircraft can be given landing clearance on downwind by Tower before even establishing the localizer.

Also if you look closely on the meaning of “Inbound on the ILS” it means, the aircraft ESTABLISHED the ILS because it’s INBOUND on it.

You must differenciate Clearance for approach and ILS establishment… it’s 2 different phases.
You can be cleared for approach by ATC but not established on the localizer. So if i’m cleared for approach but not established on the localizer yet, i cannot contact tower and say i’m inbound on ILS…

Basically, People link the 2 wrong instructions with each other… We must link Localizer establishment and Inbound on the ILS ans stop linking Approach clearance and Inbound on the ILS.

I hope you get my point of view

2 Likes