Big planes at DCA

Hello IFC! Today I recreated a few of the rare times widebodies have been at DCA. This small airport, with its 7,169 ft. runway, does not usually have widebody flights. Pictures are in chronological order because I’m weird and were taken on RWY 1/19 in Solo. Enjoy :)

United DC-10 landing with some gusty crosswinds.

Flight Info
  • McDonnell Douglas DC-10
  • ORD-BWI, diversion to DCA due to bad weather
  • United Airlines (Continental livery)

On April 16th, 1998, a United DC-10 headed to Baltimore, diverted and landed in DCA. The United flight, which was held over Cleveland due to weather at BWI, tried to divert to IAD. When the airport closed, the DC-10, which was on emergency fuel, was forced to divert to Reagan National.

Delta 767-300 taking off from Runway 1.

During December of 2008 and January 2009, Delta used the Boeing 767-300 to increase capacity to ATL for the inauguration of President Obama.

787-8 turning on the Runway 19 river visual approach.

Gravelly Point landing view. See this video

Flight Info
  • Boeing 787-8 (N787BX)
  • IAD-DCA
  • Boeing (Boeing House livery)

On May 7th, 2012 a brand new 787-8 landed in DCA, after a short flight from IAD. The Dreamliner was traveling for the 787 Dream Tour, an international promotional tour of the 787. The tour included stops in Italy, the UK, Norway, and the US. The aircraft stayed in DC for 5 days, while Boeing had press conferences and invited government and airline officials to view the plane.

Vietnam Airlines 787-9 lands with the sunrise shining on it.

Flight Info
  • Boeing 787-9 (N1020K)
  • IAD-DCA
  • Vietnam Airlines

To celebrate their first 787 order, Vietnam Airlines held a pre-delivery ceremony at Ronald Reagan Airport. Instead of having the ceremony in Seattle, Vietnam Airlines chose to hold it in DC to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of American and Vietnamese diplomatic relations. The flight took off from Dulles on the morning of July 6th, 2015. Fifteen minutes after taking off, the 787 touched down at DCA, and was met by many high ranking officials by both countries.

Thanks for reading! If you have any other topic ideas like these feel free to let me know.

Sources
18 Likes

Nice! I like big planes, especially the DC-10. An old classic. Nice post!

Treasure hunt 3

is

2 Likes