Better rudder physics

Will infinite flight ever fix the current rudder physics on their planes? Usually when you use the rudder it will just shoot you right back to your old heading instead of keeping you aimed where you were trying to go

2 Likes

Of course it will shoot you right back if you release it, since the air flow over the tail section is then restored :)

13 Likes

I release it slowly and it works smooth for me!

1 Like

That isn’t realistic, there are many pilots in my family who also play infinite flight and that is the main thing they complain about the sim

According to physics, I’d argue that it is since air will always try to “straight up” an angled surface? :)

2 Likes

You are literally arguing with the Earths natural physics😐

2 Likes

Maybe there is some confusion with the Op and rudder trim? I’m on your side on this too, it wouldn’t be possible for us to crab those landings with a crosswind. I think Laura has the rudders set rather nicely.

The rudder and the suspension of the planes (especially the smaller ones) are exaggerated for sure. I think IF should look into this.

1 Like

The plane should swing back to its original heading though, like look at boats. When a boat is in the water the only way for it to turn besides bow/stern thrusters is the rudder, when the rudder is turned the whole boat will turn, aka yaw, (obviously) but it won’t shoot back. If it did boats would not be able to turn as it would just shoot back to the og heading

it should be a teensy bit more gradual. IF’s rudder physics are quite snappy.

2 Likes

You can’t really compare a boat with an airplane since airplanes are crabbing, boats are not. So, not quite a relevant comparison :)

1 Like

Why would the people that plane turn the other way though? It seems to me that it should go from a force in the direction of the turn to no lateral force at all when the rudder is released, so I don’t see what would cause the plane to turn back the other way.

I could be totally wrong and in that case I’d be curious why this turn happens.

If the wind is hitting the left side of the tail, rear axis (tail) of the aircraft is going to go into that same direction causing the front axis (nose) to point left all relative to center line of the aircraft.

https://images.app.goo.gl/99AEGcUdouBB6UGr9

1 Like

I can somewhat agree with some aircraft especially the lighter ones but then again, we push aircraft like the C172, XCUB and TBM beyond their service limits at times in the simulator.

1 Like

Ah ok thanks that makes sense

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.