Best Step Climb to Attempt a Distance Record?

Any ideas on using angle of attack along with speed to guide the best step climb to squeeze the most fuel range from an aircraft?..Say the aim is to set a distance record?

77L can apparently get 30+ hours with no load at a normal M.84. There is a guide on the forum.

If you want to do something like single engine though, A350 at FL110 and close to 350kts can almost go around the world I think.

Thanks for that. I tried to search through some of the forum info. What do you think about maxing out the distance for any given aircraft at a given load. Say you’re given a particular passenger and cargo load for the A350 or even the 737-800 or something. Any ideas what to target to squeeze the distance to the max for whatever aircraft?

If you want to follow a reasonable operating speed (ie. no single engine or anything stupid like that)
I actually have estimates for fuel burn data for quite a few aircraft. There is one on the forum as well for all 777s.

If you only care about GC distance between airports, 772, 77L, 77W, A350 and 767 (lol) can all do antipodal flights. Some of the 787s might do it as well.

In your fuel burn data, do you have info on the minimum fuel flow achievable (bottom of the valley of the fuel flow curve), and for different altitudes?

Edit update: should clarify, lowest fuel flow for distance covered is the goal

@Suhas your prescence has been requested.

1 Like

Well if you are aiming for over 50 hours nonstop, I would recommend one engine cruise at FL130 in the A350.

1 Like

@xsrvmy what do you mean by no load, do you mean only fuel and nothing else?

Wouldn’t one engine cruise consume more fuel?

If you want a really impressive time record, take an A350, climb to FL101, set speed to 290 and shut off one engine. I haven’t done the math but it should total out to 60-65 hours. I will do it tonight and get back to you.

Edit: I just now realized this is a distance record, you definitely don’t want to fly 290 for that but regardless lol.

1 Like

Why that FL and speed?

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. But I still don’t understand why one engine is better?

It’s better because that engine has to work harder, but not twice as hard so it still burns less fuel than two engines working less hard. The speed and altitude I don’t know, it just works best that way for TIME, for distance you may want to try something else.

1 Like

Is that because IF models real world turbine engines, and in the real world they work that way, or it’s a quirk of the sim?

Well, twinjets can fly on just one engine, and per ETOPS ratings they can do this for quite a long time, but this specifically is probably just a quirk honestly.