Being Grilled While Spotting a Special Freighter | Munich, August 8, 2020

Welcome back to another topic!

Since my skin was feeling too good, temperatures were over 30°C and a special movement was announced, I once again went to the airport in order to provide you with the weekly topic you are probably used to by now.

In order to get my first shot, I first had to made my way to the fence by walking through grass reaching up to my knees right next to the main airport access road. That’s because Munich is using a segregated runway mode until mid september where all departures use the northern runway when 08’s are in use like today. As a consequence there was only one spot to take proper pics of Terminal 1 departures without massive heat haze. But I guess that’s what you do for special/retro liveries.

After only ~5 departures, I made my way back to the car through the jungle I had passed earlier to get my skin some more BBQ at the southern runway during some heavy arrivals like the Emirates 777 from Dubai, once again not wearing an EXPO sticker sadly.

Right after the Emirates 777, another arrival from the Mideast arrived, the daily A350 from Doha. Not as usual was the backdrop though. Two JOTA Aviation Avro Regional Jets arrived yesterday to bring Chelsea FC from Farnborough. They just lost there game against Bayern München and will head back to London at 1.30 am (CEST, so about one hour from now).

A bird you might remember from a few weeks ago arrived from Greece. D-ABOE is one of the few Condor planes still wearing the blue color scheme. In contrast to the last pic, the engine cowlings were once again changed, so my inner Monk is a bit more satisfied now since both engines have the same color pattern now.

Catch them while you can is probably a good advice for these birds. As one of a few operators, Air France is still using the Airbus A318 but they will likely be replaced in the not too distant future (but what’s certain in these times anyway)

After waiting for quite a while with little to no traffic (Munich’s movements are currently still down by approx. 60%), finally our special arrived empty from Chicago O’hare. Volga-Dnepr’s IL76 will be loaded in Munich to head to India tomorrow evening. Here you can see it floating over the runway while it was bouncing on landing.

A rather new visitor due to COVID is TAP’s E190. In the past, the airline usually used A320 family planes like the A321neo on several daily rotations from Porto and Lisbon, now it’s slightly smaller. Let’s see when demand will allow for larger planes again.

Thanks for visiting this topic! I hope you liked it! See you for the next topic ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens, replaced by the 24-105 now)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/mba_muc/

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials
Early Morning Cargo Movements
Government Flights at Munich
Military & Special Spotting at Ingolstadt and Neuburg AFB
DC3, Hekla Aurora and an EXPO livery at Munich
The First Visit of an Airbus Beluga XL
Summer Spotting Ending with Engine Light

Honorable mentions, TLDRs and Reminders

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again!
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again
@Balloonchaser since you will come here anyway…
@JulianB just want to be sure you don’t miss it

50 Likes

Haha in the face @Balloonchaser 😏

It’s A318 season 😍

3 Likes

well it was a close second… why quite beautiful Moritz

1 Like

IFC Spotting topic 101:

1. Be faster than Balloon with your comment
  2. Look at the actual thread and edit your comment to make it on-topic

lol

3 Likes

If I lost to @Balloonchaser, I would be quite ashamed. Sorry Jack 😘

1 Like

Awesome shots as usual Moritz! I like the E190 shot, simple but sometimes its nice to go back to basics.

1 Like

I would be especially ashamed if I commented “FIRST” and then realize Balloon was faster

not intended to point to anyone doing this the last time lol

1 Like

I liked the E190 because it meant I could finally drive home out of the heat haha

2 Likes

Oo la la…

These photos are amazing!

1 Like

Great Shots again!

1 Like

Its only 45°C / 115°F in Vegas :)

Great photos, lovely angles!

1 Like

Why’d you edit out the Tyler Tilt? @den.aviation will not be very happy to see that.

1 Like

He… did… what???

1 Like

That wasn’t Tyler Tilt but damn-I-dont-want-to-cut-off-my-fingers-on-the-fence-tilt 👀

2 Likes

Grilled at 30 celsius… that’s cute

2 Likes

Bruh, I go spotting when it’s 43C or 110 degrees Fahrenheit and I’m just fine 😎.

Really neat pictures tho!

Excuse me for not living in Texas where you have to deal with that all the time 😂

1 Like

I haven’t been to EDDM in so long due to COVID. I fly LH2474 twice every month usually, and was supposed to depart to singapore in the LH A350 for the first time in July. Thank you for sharing those amazing pics, made me feel quite at home!

As always some really, really well made pictures! Can’t remember to ever have seen that Tarim retro livery before, and the A318, E190 and Condor B757 look especially great!

The IL76 is very well captured even though the design of it is somewhat odd with the tons of flight deck windows…

Also what…🤯

1 Like

Well, it ended up coming a bit low, touched down very early with quite a high V/S, ended up bouncing and eventually touching down quite some time later 👀

1 Like