Being a pilot with Dyslexia

How much would having Dyslexia affect me becoming a pilot? I can read things, it just takes me a bit sometimes, and spelling can be hit or miss. Math also sometimes takes me an extra few seconds to work through, i can do it, I just need tiny think a bit more. Anyone have experiance with this maby?

11 Likes

Well I am a GA pilot IRL and I have ADHD and I am not the greatest at math. I would say as long as you can do it. It would really depend on what type of career you go into

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t think you could be a commercial pilot with dyslexia, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, you could probably be a recreational pilot, as long as you feel safe. I mean what’s gonna happen, flying is not nearly as much about reading as it is about being aware of your surroundings and being able to see (lol). :)

I just did some research. The only difficulties I found with being a GA pilot would be frequencies and acronyms.

I havent found anything to say it was very preventative, do you know whare you saw that?

For an airline pilot? I’m just assuming but like I said I could be wrong. I just think airlines are very strict about stuff like that.

For a GA pilot I found it on reddit (lol) but it does make sense.

According to the CAA Website:
https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Psychology/Psychological-conditions/

1 Like

So I guess it depends on the severity of your Dyslexia, but it sounds like yours isn’t that bad. Hopefully you’ll be able to pursue your goal of being a pilot!

1 Like

As a professional pilot I can say you’re fine I have experience in this area.

3 Likes

@Pilot_B st to let you know I know many people that are commercial airline pilots, which didn’t let them affect them reaching their dream. Only perservirance and determination will get you through it. @KPIT don’t let deslexia defeat you. ☺️ I know how it feels because I have it too and I am going through all the PPl practice examinations and getting 80-100% each time I did them.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the clarification. This is awesome to hear!

1 Like

No problem, I just didn’t want to leave a comment like that that’s all. Because I just feel that you can definitely achieve high with determination and passion. ☺️👍

1 Like

As someone who is dyslexic and whilst not a commercial pilot I work in a high pressure industry I would advise not to give up on your dream. However you will have to work harder than others to achieve this, you will need to find our what your Achilleas heels are and work out the tactics and strategy needed to over come this.

Good luck.

2 Likes

HI I Have actually have the same question

I totally agree, as it’s definitely not easy.

1 Like

A few weeks ago I flew with an FO who has dyslexia, our medicals and licensed are based on EASA (European) so that should be fine, try to contact an aviation doctor they can tell you everything about it.

1 Like

A doctor who does pilot medicals can answe these questions

1 Like

Yah according to try FAA and AOPA in the US you can’t have ADHD and hold a medical https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources/health-conditions/mental-health/add-and-adhd

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response6/