Beechcraft Model 18 “Twin Beech“

The Beechcraft Model 18 “Twin Beech“

The Beechcraft Model 18 (also known as “Twin Beech“) is a 6- to 11-seat, twin-engined, low-wing, tailwheel light aircraft manufactured by the Beech Aircraft Corporation of Wichita, Kansas. Continuously produced from 1937 to November 1969 (over 32 years, a world record at the time), over 9,000 were built, making it one of the world’s most widely used light aircraft. Sold worldwide as a civilian executive, utility, cargo aircraft, and passenger airliner on tailwheels, nosewheels, skis, or floats, it was also used as a military aircraft.

Military:
The Twin Beech was used for light transport, light bomber, aircrew trainer (for bombing, navigation, and gunnery), photo-reconnaissance, and “mother ship” for target drones.

Commercial:

It was the pre-eminent “business aircraft” and “feeder airliner”. Besides carrying passengers, its civilian uses have included aerial spraying, sterile insect release, fish stocking, dry-ice cloud seeding, aerial firefighting, air-mail delivery, ambulance service, numerous movie productions, skydiving, freight, weapon- and drug-smuggling, engine testbed, skywriting, banner towing, and stunt aircraft. Many are now privately owned, around the world, with 240 in the U.S. still on the FAA Aircraft Registry in August 2017.

Statistics:
Manufacturer: Beech Aircraft Corporation
First flight: January 15, 1937
Produced: 1937–1970
Number built: 9,000+

Here is a picture:

General characteristics

• Crew: 2 pilots
  • Capacity: 6 passengers
  • Length: 34 ft 3 in (10.44 m)
  • Wingspan: 47 ft 8 in (14.53 m)
  • Height: 9 ft 9 in (2.97 m)
  • Wing area: 349 sq ft (32.4 m2)
  • Empty weight: 5,420 lb (2,458 kg)
  • Gross weight: 7,500 lb (3,402 kg)
  • Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-1 "Wasp Junior"radial engines, 450 hp (340 kW) each

Performance

• Maximum speed: 225 mph (362 km/h, 196 kn)
  • Range: 1,200 mi (1,900 km, 1,000 nmi) at 160 mph (260 km/h; 140 kn) and 5,000 ft (1,500 m)
  • Service ceiling: 26,000 ft (7,900 m)
  • Rate of climb: 1,850 ft/min (9.4 m/s)

Note: The data may differ due to different models.

Bonus video:

For more information, visit the following websites:
Wikipedia
Air Space
Pilot Web

What do you think ?
Leave a comment below and vote in case you want to see it in IF !

See you around !

looks like a mini dc-3

2 Likes

I’d love to have the Matt Younkin Beech 18 in the sim!

2 Likes

I really like the sound of those engines 🤩
Tell me your opinion :)

1 Like

The engine sounds are beautiful, although personally i don’t think this aircraft would be used that much in IF. This is still a great idea though. :)

1 Like

Why wouldn‘t people use it in IF ? Because it‘s old and has a cool sound or what ?
I think cruising around with this one would be way cooler than with the ”normal“ C172/TBM or X Cub.

1 Like

Yes, I totally agree. But I feel like it would be regarded more like (for example) the Spit, and it just wouldn’t be popular with the rising amount of commercial flights in IF.

It kind of looks like a *1930 plane 🤣

@AlphaWings the Spitfire isn‘t used often as it‘s not reworked. If the Spitfire was reworked there would be more people who would fly it. There are some guys who also like cruising around ? I also fly long-haul stuff but the cruise around aircraft is missing for me as the C172/TBM/X-Cub are all modern and not the same as this one.

Bruh it was built from 1937 to 1970.

1 Like

@Butter_Boi might like it

1 Like

Might? This plane is awesome, and I’d love to see it in IF someday!

Sadly I’m out of votes. 😕

1 Like