Beech 18

While being a commercial pilot has always been my dream, I am slowly opening to the idea of corporate flying. Why you ask? Because you truly get to see the world in the rawest sense.

You see as a commercial you know your schedule a month out. Where you will fly, how many days you will be flying and how many hard days off you will get. You will also be flying into major airports where most if not all instruments for the purpose of an approach are functional.

Corporate on the other is a whole another world. One day in the middle of nowhere in Montana in your local fbo and then the next 2 days in Maldives. Schedule is unpredictable and most corporate jobs are on call basis. Flying into your local fbo with instruments are a hit or miss. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don’t. It’s not often in the commercial world you will shoot a dme arc, a loc back course approach, or a circle to land one. In the corporate world you will take anything you can get.

Anyways I have gone way off my intended post, so let’s get back into it.

Got a call a couple days back from someone who wanted me to pick their grandfather from Iowa and bring him to Austin, TX. I accepted and was greeted with a pleasant surprise.

An abandoned Beech 18 about 50 yards off the runway I noticed downwind during my approach. I was intrigued. As I shutdown the plane, put in my fuel order I had to take a look. Walked through snow and there she was in all her glory…

This plane specifically was used as a feeder routes for ups in the 1940’s

Here’s more info for those interested.

Have a great day gents AND ladies.

32 Likes

Wow. Hope it gets restored to its former glory. Is there any organisation working on restoring planes?

4 Likes

Out in Cali theres one, trying to restore a DC-3.

3 Likes

Well, maybe someone here could ring them up and give this Beech 18 to them.

2 Likes

A lot of people these days are restoring old beautiful birds such as this, so I hope so. No plans yet, as I talked to a guy at the airport who used to help fly it on his off day.

I have sent this info out to a few people I know who might be interested, so let’s see.

Sad to see it there all alone.

1 Like

Quite a few people are restoring that plane. That plane is just jaw dropping beautiful.

2 Likes

You’re talking about the one in Long Beach (I believe, don’t count me on it)? She’s a beauty, it’s terrible though, as they still need some last minute funding.

1 Like

Reminds me of all the cars that ended up impounded after many people fled Dubai to escape loans. Well, at least there were many of them together, but no one would be driving them for a looong time.

1 Like

Hopefully. :)

There is also a pretty cool place north of Austin where apparently they turned an old hanger into hotel rooms. Pretty cool from what I hear.

2 Likes

Wow! You seem really in to this plane. Maybe your name should be @Beech18 instead of @Erj145:-)

1 Like

I think so. There is also a pilot I know that is restoring one. Will post his instagram account… Stand by…

2 Likes

Sounds cool, I’d love to see.

2 Likes

Yes, I have heard about that. Sad :(

1 Like

Or my name should be Plane Crazy :p

I love all planes, especially planes with history.

My wife says I have a plane problem ;)

3 Likes

Here you go guys

https://www.instagram.com/jayhawk331redux/

2 Likes

wow thanks for sharing your story. That Twin Beech is a beauty and your pictures really captured that (especially the second one!).

Quick question, which aircraft did you fly in on?

happy landings !

1 Like

Anytime :) I flew a Beechcraft Bonanza. Probably my favorite GA plane.

1 Like

Nice. We have an older King Air at my fligh schools airport that is just rusting. It would be so nice for someone to restore it.

1 Like

oh yes that’s a pretty bird!

we need some more GA in IF would love to have a PA28 or king air available (or both!!)

1 Like

Post a pic of it when you get a chance please