Becoming A Helicopter Pilot...

So, I have been researching/thinking about becoming a Helicopter pilot on top of a normal pilot. I have looked all over (including the FAA’s website) but I can’t seem to find any clear or reliable information. Does anyone know a good resource for finding out information about this? I would appreciate it if someone pointed me in the right direction.

4 Likes

I know that you can go see another pilot, but you can see an FAA Examiner and they will lead you to becoming a student pilot

Other then that… Cant help ya! :)
#HotAirBalloonPilot4Me

4 Likes

I already know many pilots and am in the process of starting my training. I want to know information about becoming a helicopter pilot as well.

There a plenty of helicopter pilots on the community that would be glad to help you with any questions are inquary’s. My personal recommendation is @Chris_Keller

2 Likes

Ok. Thank you very much!

1 Like

The following links may be of interest to you:

FAA Pilot Training
Helicopter Flying Handbook
Student Pilot Guide
Pilot Handbook

3 Likes

Awesome! I’ll take a look. Thanks!

1 Like

@NetJets_Nick… MaxSez: Fixed/Rotory training is a costly proposition. I suggest you go the cheap rotary wing route. Look into the U.S. Army Rotary Wing Flying Warrant Officer Program, no degree or prior training required. Just aptitude and desire. That 4 years will be well spent, Free Helo Flight School, followed by 3 years of active flying gaining hours as a well paid Warrant Office salary plus flight pay. Walk out the door fully qualified and welcome by a almost any commercial Helocopter Commercial Service or Reginal around the world.
Don’t turn your nose up, talk to your local Army Recruiter .

10 Likes

Yeah that’s great advice for sure. No regrets there. However, there is the Air Force… ;)

2 Likes

@Delta_Alpha_Lima. MaxSez: Sorry Delta, The. Air Farce does not have a Flying Warrant Program. There looking for a degree unless ya wanna flybywire a Drone from some remote site in a box.(No Flight Pay or present Commercial application)

4 Likes

Yeah. But they have a great flight program. So I mean, they could shape him up good and maybe give some advice. Who knows, you are probably right.

1 Like

@Delta_Alpha_Lima. MaxSez:

Max is always right, been there done that! LOL…………

6 Likes

DeltaSez: Is it a coincidence? I think not…

1 Like

Only if Civil Air Patrol had Helicopters… :D

2 Likes

@Maxmustang thanks for the advice! Even though I’m a member of Civil Air Patrol, I would always consider joining the Ohio Air National Guard. Although, one of the reasons I want to become a helicopter pilot is for civilian job opportunities. (I also want to fly a helicopter into my senior prom) What a way to make a last impression!

5 Likes

Flying a helicopter into your senior prom? That sure will go well…bet you anything your gf will expect the same thing when you propose to her later on in life… ;)

1 Like

Talk to @speedbird203. I’m sure you know his story, flew helis as a crop duster and turned that into flying Blackhawks in the army. I’m sure he’ll tell you enough about that.

1 Like

I didn’t know the Air Farce existed.

1 Like

@crazygamerdl MaxSez: The “Farce” exists in my military mind, may the Force be with you.
Semper Fi Mac!

5 Likes

If he’s flying a helicopter into prom, I’m sure he’ll go through his share of relationships, maybe even have adventures that would rival ol Max’s hayday back in the 60’s/70’s. That move would be legendary therefore elevating him to super pimp status. Good luck kid, I’ll root for you.

2 Likes