Battery/Performance Post 21.1

Hello,

I’d like to begin by saying that the device I’m currently using has provided me with good performance until the past months. With 21.1 however, being at 3D airports caused my device to drain its battery pretty quickly. The issue was much less present at regular airports.

With the three updates after 21.1, this issue has grown step by step, and I feel a significant heat emitted by the device after being 5 minutes in the sim. Now I encounter these issues equally at regular and 3D airports.

My two questions will be for the developers if they can respond: Do these performance issues (along others) have to do with the implementation of Metal/Vulkan? If so, will IF be able to provide better performance when the new APIs are fully implemented?

If they aren’t in a position where they can respond, I’d also like to hear what other people are experiencing, as I’m surprised at how this isn’t talked about more often here in the forum.

1 Like

My device too has been overheating even with all low settings since 21.1. Though sometimes it get really hot and sometimes it doesn’t 🤷. I haven’t had too much of an issue with lag though .

Currently my battery has weakened but not so bad to the point where flying Singapore to Sydney is impossible without charging

Heat to me is normal but the sudden lag after landing is concerning

What type of phone do you have?

I’m on an ipad lol

This is a topic of mine
IPad battery getting weaker after 21.1 - Support - Infinite Flight Community

Well, over time infinite flight will eat your device up if you don’t have an M1 chip

I suggest turning on low power mode on long flight it cools my device down and barely uses battery

1 Like

Well I do a lot more than that
Assuming I’m doing a flight below 2500nm:
Low power mode…on
Brightness…Lowest
Sound…off
Graphic settings…Low,Medium,High,Medium

Assuming I’m doing a flight between 2500nm and 3800nm:
Lower power mode:on
Brightness…Lowest
Sound…off
Graphic settings…Low,Medium,Low,Medium

Flights more than 3800nm would be the settings above+a charger

just keep it on charge

Yeah for some reason 21.1 caused frames to drop on my pixel 5 on high graphics (solved by switching to low). I am using my old phone again which actually handles graphics better, probably because it has a game booster.

I’ve definitely noticed my device getting quite warm quickly on IF since 21.2. Have an iPhone XS and my battery health is 85%. Is really bad at 3D airports and generally does not cool down in flight or even when parked at airport gate with no interaction. My settings are all medium except textures which I often switch between medium and high

1 Like

It’s worth mentioning that these issues aren’t occuring on every device which makes them a little more difficult to fix.

An example being that I have a Pixel 4XL and a 2020 11" iPad Pro, neither of which have suffered from these performance and thermal issues, however I know there are other people with similar devices that are having horrendous frame drops and thermal issues.

Typically, if your device is getting unbearably hot, your settings are too high. Lowering your rendering resolution down to medium can yield a boost in performance, and I’ve found in some cases everything else can be on max without the device getting warmer than the side of my fridge.

Thermals and performance are typically linked quite closely. The higher your graphics, the harder your device needs to work. This in turn generates more heat, which causes your device to throttle and tank your FPS.

Infinite flight is about the most demanding application any device will ever have to run, and as the simulator gets better and better it’s only going to become more difficult to run, that is until vulkan arrives.

In regards to battery life, iPhones especially have very small batteries that will drain quickly if run at full throttle consistently. If you’re flying long haul, you should always have your device plugged into a charger with low power turned on.

Vulkan hasn’t yet been implemented. You won’t see 2 different APIs running together like this. It might support both, but not at the same time.

I would expect that when the API overhaul does roll out, the developers will announce it to the community.

I’ve changed my settings and I’m not bothered by this need. I might just look into rendering resolution. However I was just curious if the performance issues have to do with the step-by-step implementation of Project Metal. So if you say that it’s the new features that are causing the issues, I’ll take it.

I was referring to the original (old) API and the one that is actively being implemented. I’m not sure of their particular names, or even if there is an API currently being implemented. In the end, my questions have been practically answered so thank you. But wasn’t Vulkan and Metal separate APIs (one for Android and one for iOS)?

Yeah vulkan and metal are different, I just refer to it as vulkan as that’s the one I’m most familiar with.

As for the old API that’s OpenGL, which is what we are still currently using in sim

Question, What’s the purpose of this Vulkan API thing?

Vulkan/ metal is a graphics API, the same as OpenGL which is what the simulator uses currently.

In the simplest terms, it’s a way for an app to communicate with a graphics processor. It’s a standardized means of communication for hardware.

However OpenGL has gotten a bit old now and apple has depreciated it, as they do with everything. But vulkan/ metal is also much newer and much more advanced. It allows for better utilisation of the available hardware, meaning that it’s possible to get better performance in app.

You can read more here:

2 Likes

So you mean like less lag and high frame rates?

1 Like

Regarding the thing with the issues not occuring on some devices, that’s more likely because they still run above 30fps. There was no FPS counter beofre 21.1 so itwas hard to benchmark old performance on these devices.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.