Banned Virtual Airlines

Hey! I was very just wondering why some virtual airlines such as Lufthansa,Flybe & Icelandair are banned? Is this due to copyright issues with the airline?

Thanks

3 Likes

Yes. Copyrights, trademark infringements, branding, and the alike are the main issues. Many of the folks have received cease and desist letters. If these are ever received, we ask that you quickly and promptly follow their instructions. It’s a battle that you will not win.

18 Likes

Oh right i understand was just a curious question I’ve never known the answer to haha thanks for answering it ✈️

6 Likes

I know a little about the Lufthansa case since I worked as a staff member in one of the VAs affected. In short, LH acts very german when it comes to this and is very strict about it, even though VAs in other sims are apparently not affected for whatever reason. That’s why “Lufthansa Virtual” was called Nonstop Virtual and now Lufty Virtual. Sadly, many people don’t recognize that there is a LH virtual airline and because of that the VA doesn’t get too much traffic sadly.

5 Likes

Former staff here :-)

2 Likes

100% facts.

7 Likes

Did the VA get into trouble with Lufthansa because of this?

1 Like

Yeah, it did. There were multiple attempts to resolve it but nothing worked sadly.

3 Likes

Ahh that’s a shame

1 Like

Regarding on logo and other branding stuff, yes.

5 Likes

When you say “trouble” what do you mean?

1 Like

Unexpected email from the Airline. I won’t put too much details.

2 Likes

Oh okay, did you guys have to like close down in that moment or did you change the branding? No pressure to answer

3 Likes

You can rebrand it.

Oh okay. Interesting

2 Likes

Surely one absolute mad lad on the IFC with 6 staff positions and a can-do attitude could take on a multiple billion dollar company with an army of lawyers no issues…

9 Likes

As others are mentioned, airlines on the banned list are banned solely from being created with the real-life airline’s branding and name.

You can still create VAs that resemble banned virtual airlines! Just make sure to change up the branding and name to give yourself a better chance of not receiving a scary email.

Some recent examples have been:

Air NZ >>>> White Cloud Virtual

Lufthansa >>>>> Nonstop/Lufty Virtual

Emirates >>>>> Dubai Virtual

Hawaiian >>>>> Aloha Virtual

1 Like

They basically threatened to sue based on copyright infringement. Besides not having any legal basis, the trial would have been far too expensive and the VA would have lost either way resulting in hefty fines. That’s why it had/has different names.

So once you change it nothing can happen, correct?

Yes, It’s legal. Example of what yacht said