Banned VAs

So I was looking through ifvarb.com and I noticed banned Virtual Airlines. What does it mean that they are banned? They are not allowed to be created? Also can someone tell me why a VA might be on the Banned list. Thank you.

1 Like

Various real world airlines have reached out to these once established VAs with legal information stating that they were not to portray their real world airline in the way that they were. These decisions from the real world airline came with legal action if the VA’s didn’t comply. Therefore, those airlines have been placed on a banned list.

14 Likes

Thanks Deer. I guess that makes sense it’s just weird that a VA for a flight sim needs to be shut down due to copyright issues.

1 Like

From an airlines perspective its really not. Imagine if you were running a successful airline. If there was a VA getting a bad rap, it could portray a poor image of the actual airline.

7 Likes

OK but how did the Real World Airline even find out about the VA though?

1 Like

Social media. Airlines are always on their social media platforms scouring the WWW. Nothing is ever a secret/hidden these days.

4 Likes

Adding to what deer said, sometimes they might have no other choice but to send a takedown notice, because if they (real airline) were to file a lawsuit against someone using their branding for something they don’t like it to be used, the existence of VA technically infringing on their copyright without them taking action in some cases might be a valid argument in court. There’s a good video on how and why Ferarri do the same thing, and while it’s not about VAs and IRL airlines, it breaks down the legal aspects of the copyright argument which may be in play with those takedown notices

4 Likes

Alright. That makes the most sense. Thank you for answering my questions.

1 Like

So it’s possible to be taken to court for running a VA? @Alexander_Nikitin

It sounds extreme. It would put you off making one.

Technically yes, however for that to happen you’ll need to say no to a scary thing called takedown notice, and also the point there was that in case an IRL airline allows VA to use their branding by not doing anything with it and then they would file a lawsuit against some real company violating their copyright (not the VA!), the existence of that VA and it being untouched might be used against them.

2 Likes

So basically they first have to ask you take the VA things down and if you say yes, you’re fine, if you say no, you’re doomed! @Alexander_Nikitin

1 Like

Yes, but I would assume before there would be a possibility of this IFVARB would step in.

1 Like

Good stuff! Good to know. I applied for a VA and it’s not on the list of banned airlines, so I assume I’ll be just fine.

You should be fine unless something happens like Deer mentioned

1 Like

You can close this now Deer.