Bad luck for Kansai Airport during typhoon.

As some of you may know,Super Typhoon Jebi is making its way into Japan. It is the most powerful typhoon in 25 years. A few hours ago,due to heavy rain,Kansai Airport’s A and B runways are both currently flooded,causing hundreds of flights to be canceled. Then,the terminal flooded. Then,after that,the power went out. Then,if it couldn’t get any worse,there were 3,000 people trapped inside the airport. The airport staff do not know how long it will take to fix it. There’s heavy rain and powerful winds in my area,and a sign just blew away into the road! Then Kansai Airport’s bad luck struck again. The bridge linking the island airport and the main land was collided by an oil tanker due to the winds. Here is a photo by the news.
UPDATEAt around 7:00AM JST,boats from Kobe Airport arrived to pick up the trapped passengers. The rescue efforts are estimated to take up 1-3 days.

For more information go here.

5 Likes

This is awful!! My prayers go out to everyone during these rough times!! Stay strong.

8 Likes

Wow, that sounds really bad! Hope for the best of all the victims.

This is what every airport manager wants to see…
(I can’t tell, is this one real? I think this picture might be photoshop, but I can’t tell…)
source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiTh9zB8aHdAhUMrVMKHUhUD5IQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLZvZLVUEHtY&psig=AOvVaw2VqUqFlvSDJu6vmC5MYlLJ&ust=1536168898918414

(These look more real:)
source: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/byhsHpYPq3s/hqdefault.jpg

source: https://www.japanbullet.com/images/2018/09/3382265995b8e387785bc68.20219154.jpg

source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjhgL6c8qHdAhUS3FMKHYlVAfwQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fjapan.liveuamap.com%2Fen%2F2018%2F4-september-210-kmh-winds-at-kansai-airport-also-flooded&psig=AOvVaw2VqUqFlvSDJu6vmC5MYlLJ&ust=1536168898918414

3 Likes

To think that i was there over the summer, only a few weeks after the earthquake hit the city, and now few months down the road this…

My prayers goes out to those afflicted by this disastrous storm.

On a different note, i must say that, although this is horrible, the picture above posted by @racerclc, where we can see the Airport flooded, the runways and terminal covered in a huge body of water, looks rather fascinating, just goes to show what mother nature is capable of doing, i mena the strength that she possess and the unique creation that made by for an example this typhoon. The water does look like ice though, haha…

It’s like a bittersweet taste the picture gives me. I’m not saying in anyway that this is something good, but that the look of the water or flooding in general just appeals to me, now once again i hope now one get seriously injured or any facilitates occur, as i pray for everyone’s safety in this, but i can’t say that i hate how the Airport looks like right now. Flooding is a horrible experience and not something you want to be in, (especially for elderly and those who are physically challenged). I’ve witnessed them with my own eyes IRL, so i know what it’s like, especially when there’s a storm like this one. But flooding is something i’ve always found interesting, fun and pretty cool, idk, it just looks intriguing, you get a different perspective on how thing look like.

Compare the Airport now Vs. When it’s dry again Vs. When there’s snow laying on the RWY.
You’ll see a transformation which always mesmerize me… :P

Anyways i hope the airport doesn’t too much damaged, so they can resume operation shortly after the typhoon is over and people can return safely back home and/or depart from Kansai for whatever purpose they have.
A Safe Travel is what i hope everyone gets :)

6 Likes

Wow the Typhoon definately slammed places like Okayama 岡山. And Osaka 大阪.Incredible that Kansai Kokusai Airport got flooded.The storm surge must have been really bad as Kansai Airport is over the ocean.That really sucks after being hit by a strong earthquake in June,Infact strongest since the Great Hahshin Earthquake.Oh btw I felt the earthquake in June.I also hope that Nagoya Chubu centrair kokusai airport did not get flooded.
Hope my relatives in Nagoya 名古屋 are doing fine.
Oh and like @Captain_JR said,I’ can totally relate seeing the transformation of the airport and how interesting it looks.
Prayers go out to Japan 日本.
I myself was in many typhoons in Japan and It’s not such a good experience.

Fun fact:RJBB as the longest single terminal in the world

3 Likes

The first pic is real,Looks the same on an NHK one

2 Likes

And this is why I am thankfull I live plenty inland…

3 Likes

You get those blizzards and freezing temps
That really sucks to me imo

2 Likes

-10F isn’t that bad, nor is 6in of snow, if you haven’t done it sledding is very fun, and snow presents some unique architectureal challenges when building forts…

3 Likes

It’s one of those things you get used to, and worst case you can stay inside under a blanket, I don’t think you get used to having your home ripped apart, and a blanket certainly doesn’t help with that…

2 Likes

Haha true lol
Here in Charlotte we don’t get a lot of snow but I’ve been up to Cranberry PA and we made a huge fort.

Ok let’s not get off topic

3 Likes

Ok, I know that this may seem silly and/or stupid, but I’ll share this snippet of my experience anyways. (And sorry that this post got so long.)
Just a couple days before this airport was flooded, @Pilot_urp and I were flying around on XP11. I just realized that the airport we were crashing B738s at was Kansai.
I know that everyone is probably thinking that I’m just getting worked up over nothing here, but tbh this really did leave some place in my heart.
It’s sometimes hard to remember that these places (where Pilot_urp and I were crash-landing in the ocean several times because we’re bad pilots :D) actually exist when we’re just flying around and enjoying the sim. But then I look back and see the first image I posted, and it looks exactly like the view from the B738 flying over the airport (except water everywhere). I know that I wasn’t actually at Kansai, but this seemed to leave me a tiny snippet of the feelings of those who live there or have visited there before and have seen the airport with their real eyes. I seem to feel an incredibly-small portion of those who are seeing it all happen in person, even through something as silly and insignificant as a flight simulator. If I can feel something in my heart from just flying there and seeing the airport in a flight simulator, then I can’t possibly comprehend the devastation that those directly affected by this ordeal must go through. I give my respect to those who must endure this trial.
In the summer, we are going to travel to Japan and take Kansai to get back to the US. Hopefully the airport will have resumed normal operations by that point.
Thank you all for reading this extra-lengthy post.

1 Like

I’m hoping for the best, I hope all the people are safe

1 Like

Why were there still ANA planes there at the time of the typhoon? Shouldn’t they have been brought out of the danger zone?

1 Like

How do you guys think planes are affected (while on the ground, not flying) in hurricanes, typhoons, tornadoes, flooding, etc.? Does it require many repairs, or do the planes just shrug it off?

1 Like

Depends on if there is any damage, and if there is, what the damage is. Shouldn’t have much trouble though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.