Back Taxiing in the Caribbean

Please, when back taxiing in the Carribean, do so as efficiently as possible. The speed limit does not apply on the runway. Especially if told to expedite, 15 knots is not sufficiently fast. We are trying to back taxi planes for departure while planes are inbound on the same runway. 12 knots just doesn’t cut it.

21 Likes

https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/how-to-back-taxi/45203

11 Likes

When I controlled I had the same issue. Now y U have special commands to encourage very fast cooperation lol.

2 Likes

Yes, “Please Expedite” for some goes from 10 knots to 15. So, I suppose that’s helpful, sort of.

4 Likes

you could always 360 for spacing?

1 Like

I wouldn’t do that, especially if they’re inbound on the ILS or on short final. A go around would be more appropriated in that case. :)

6 Likes

makes more sense. Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m assuming this is pertaining to people on final and people going to slow in this case we would not send a 360 for spacing when someone is on final if anything a go around would occure

1 Like

I guess it’s also a matter of awareness and seeing what your spacing is, knowing how the back taxi can be with some pilots.

2 Likes

I agree. Whenever I back-taxi I usually do so as fast as I possibly can. One time there was even traffic less than 5 miles out on final and I almost hit V1 speed ;) But as an ATC, seeing others back-taxi at like 10 kts when you have traffic a couple of miles away is just painful!

2 Likes

I do, unless as Adrien says go around is more appropriate

1 Like

It’s a tough balance. Trying to get pilots off the ground without forcing go arounds on the inbounds.

1 Like

What is the procedure regarding landings at TNCM? I just landed there and used the pad at the end of the runway to make a 180 and then made a right to exit the runway. I didn’t have traffic behind me so it didn’t matter much.

But is this not recommended if there is traffic on final? In that case should I make a sharp (slightly unrealistic) turn to the left to exit the runway?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Best case scenario is to come in slow enough and use reverse thrust so you don’t miss the last exit. If you do, the controller should back taxi you and issue a go around if necessary.

3 Likes

To be more specific, a 360 is when a pilot has not yet entered the pattern, say 24 miles away to the NW of the cone or something. Once a pilot is in pattern, especially on final, go around is more appropriate. We do not issue 360s to pilots on final.

1 Like

And while we’re on the topic, a go around is interpreted by some pilots as a 360. This is incorrect. You should either increase altitude and continue runway heading before entering crosswind, or if you do turn immediately, that turn is into downwind, not back into line 1 mile back of where you just were. You will receive a new sequencing and clearance after go around. The old clearance does not apply.

For example, if we have three planes, one 5 miles out, one 6, and one 11, the middle pilot will receive a go around. He shouldn’t then re-plant himself between the other two planes with whom he had separation issues to begin with. He should wait for a new sequencing and clearance while maintaining downwind heading.

4 Likes

At TFFR especially the back taxi should be done at 55+Kts, the faster the better.

2 Likes

I ended up leaving the airport. Agree 100% with this post!!

3 Likes

Im constantly flying a 747-400. The following is based off of that.

Inbound for me At any airport, I set my speed on autopilot and use manual controls for everything else. On short final, I will have already set full flaps, speed to 140kts, dropped gear, and armed my spoilers. I fly slightly under the glideslope so that when I flare up for touchdown, I physically touch down between the threshold and the rectangles marking the touchdown zone. Upon touchdown, I immediately activate reverse thrust and then the brakes when my nose touches the runway. At TNCM, I will have slowed to about 30kts just before either the 2nd to last, or last taxiway to turn left on, depending on the quality of my landing.

I’ve found that really the only aircraft needing guaranteed back taxi at TNCM are the fighters and a heavy configured a380. If you fly anything else and need a back taxi it’s for one of 3 reasons:

1. You executed a late touchdown (yes I understand we all have those days)
  2. You had a poor landing (sometimes results in #1, and again I understand we all have those days)
  3. You came in too fast which probably means you don’t quite have a full understanding of the speed capabilities of the aircraft in which you are flying or you came in with a steep approach, in which case I would recommend you check tutorials for how to use the glideslope.
2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that, unless you are using full brakes and reverses it is hard to slow down in time in a heavy jet