Back taxi instruction

Hi!
I have a question for you guys,

Is it ok to send at this plane “back taxi, cnt grnd whn off rnw”? I know exit runway is the standard (and definitely the right) instruction to send, but send back taxi is ok or or is it wrong?

I’m asking this because this command could expedite taxi time, especially when the airport is not busy (like the pic)

Thank you :)

1 Like

Remember that a clearance for takeoff also gives a plane a clearance for back-taxi.

1 Like

I’m sorry, plane is inbound

1 Like

What would he need to back taxi for?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, he should be able to exit normally.

1 Like

Back-taxiing is pilot discretion when taking off, but it would not be practical to back taxi him in this scenario when there is plenty of exits. Back taxis are mainly used when the runway is used as the taxiway and there is no other suitable exit available. You can always send someone around if needed.

2 Likes

Think London city airport, etc. :)

2 Likes

Or TNCM, that’s a great example as well.

1 Like

An example that would really answer your question is NTAA. After landing, there are no exits for aircraft, so a back taxi is actually required to exit the runway. In your example, there are plenty of exits.

2 Likes

Totally not needed.

1. There is no traffic on the radar.
  2. the plane will exit faster on the right than back taxi.

And no, is totally nosense to send it :)

1 Like

Because if the plane exits the runway in the middle it will have to taxi much more time, if it exits the end of the runway it can cover that distance on the runway at 50 knt instead of 20 on the taxiway, that’s why I asked, the ideal would be to have " exit runway using (name of the taxiway) ", who knows maybe one day :)

1 Like

Oh. That is not back taxiing. That is just runway exiting. Back taxiing would be making a 180 at the end of the runway and taxing to the nearest available exit when we have inbound traffic. For outbound, it would be the same thing, however you would be at the end of the runway waiting for departure.

You could make a feature request one day for the realistic runway exits! Remember to flag this for closure if all of your questions were answered! :)

2 Likes

Anyway roger that! I cannot use it LoL! Thank you all for your speedy answers ;)

1 Like

Even so, pilots who are taxiing on the runway (i.e. when they’re back-taxiing) aren’t really supposed to taxi faster than they would on the taxiways. There won’t really be a point to having them taxi on the runway instead. And if you’re busy, having them be on the runway until the end will only slow things down for you. Just give them an exit command and let them exit at their discretion.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.