Back in the Alps | Innsbruck, March 16, 2019

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

To convince everyone who hasn’t noticed that I’m totally obsessed with spotting yet I’ve been at an airport this weekend once again - Just like last week my trip on Saturday led me to Innsbruck Airport for another day of spotting in the Alps. Why? While I really liked the location and the opportunities for great motives, I wasn’t quite happy with how a good part of the images turned out due to the cloudy weather. Other than that the shortest time frame you can pay for the use of Austrian highways is ten days so what could be better than just going again when the weather forecast says it will be sunny all day long?
Since I already posted many climb out shots with good quality in last week’s thread I decided to use a few different angles for today’s topic - I hope you like them nevertheless!

The part that turned out especially bad due to lots of clouds in the morning were the ramp shots Innsbruck offers a great opportunity for, that’s why I didn’t show you any last week. The public and free-of-charge observation deck is located on the first floor of the terminal and gives you a great overview over the airport, many of the 12 parking positions are located right in front of you and so are the planes when it becomes busy on a winter Saturday. You are actually so close to the planes without any windows or fences in between that you might end up in the exhausts of planes leaving the parking position with own power in less busy periods of the day, I actually got a good amount of Dash 8 exhaust gases shortly after arrival 😉 I guess the picture of this Thomas Cook A321 gives a good example of how close you are to the apron movements:

Since this exact plane arrived during the cloudy morning hours last week I was especially happy when BRA’s Jumbolino pulled into the gate right in front of me this time inbound from Gothenburg.

The terminal’s observation deck not only offers a view of the apron but also of the stunning scenery provided by the “Nordkette”, a chain of mountains right north of the airport. When aircraft use runway 08 for takeoffs you can also great shots of them during climb out just like this pic of a departing easyjet A320.

Just like last week I changed my position to take photos at the end of the runway right next to the river Inn. Thanks to the change in wind direction I not only caught departures in that location, many planes were arriving right in front of me after performing a sharp turn on short final. Why that turn is necessary? Maybe you can find the answer in the image of this landing British Airways A320 inbound from London:

With great weather during the weekend not only commercial aviation with heavy planes took place - many gliders were flying in and out of Innsbruck. Seen here is one of them taking off using a winch in front of the mountains. (Yes, this is the real takeoff angle, it wasn’t me rotating the picture 😉)

Lufthansa Group spent a lot of time to rebrand the corporate designs of its airlines last year. Next to Lufthansa and Air Dolomiti, Austrian airlines got a new livery as well. One of the planes wearing the new livery is seen on very short final for runway 08 here.

Another airline that got a new, or in fact its first own livery, is Laudamotion. While I showed you the new livery in last week’s thread, here you can see the last A320 still wearing the old airberlin hybrid livery approaching on its flight from Dusseldorf.

Do you remember this bird? Just as last week, OY-RCG of Atlantic Airways was operating on a charter flight from Copenhagen, this time in nice light instead of shadow.

Everyone’s talking about BA’s latest retro liveries at the moment. But they have another special plane as well - advertising the Red Nose Day, G-EUUC is flying around Europe with - surprise - a red nose. In this pic you can see the plane turning around for departure with Captain Ben Whitworth waving to the spotters at the runway end.

I know I said I wouldn’t post climbout shots that much this time, but what can I say - it wouldn’t be an Innsbruck Airport spotting topic without a picture of a plane departing in front of mountains, so here is SE-REZ on climb out from runway 26 after another runway change had happened.

I hope you enjoyed this second spotting topic from Innsbruck within a week! Make sure to have a look at my twitter and jetphotos page over the next weeks, I’ve got so much more shots than I can share here!

Find more of my pictures on twitter , jetphotos.com or check out my other spotting topics here on the IFC:

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end
Special planes at Munich
Valentine’s Spotting 2019
Retro Time
Last week in Innsbruck

TL;DR service for @dush19: There were planes at Innsbruck I took pics of yesterday again

72 Likes

I love the photos

3 Likes

Wow! That’s awesome! Especially numbers 5 and 6 😍

2 Likes

Great photos! Because of IF, LOWI has become my favorite airport and i love seeing IRL photos of it

3 Likes

That EasyJet is Bæ!

3 Likes

That. Is. Awesome. Thank you for sharing! 😀

2 Likes

More of @Moritz’s spotting photos? Yay!

Spectacular job as always. I think #6 is my favorite but it’s hard to say because they’re all so good. :)

4 Likes

Clean. So clean. Especially that A321, what a shot

2 Likes

Stunning. Love the Thomas Cook A321.

2 Likes

Was that a wave from the British airways pilot?? Haha

1 Like

Easyjet livery looks so good in the snow 😍🙈

2 Likes

Actually I’m amazed :O

2 Likes

The cook, sas, and red-nose BA are absolutely wonderful

2 Likes

Thanks for your great feedback guys! Guess I’ve got to move to an airport by now to keep up the pace and quality you’re all used to now 🤣

3 Likes

Thanks for the gorgeous photos!

2 Likes

OMG I love these pictures!! they are absolutely Beautiful.

1 Like

Wow! Those are some nice pictures! I was in Sion in February, and saw many private jets!

2 Likes

Did all of them park at realistic gates tho

2 Likes

Don’t worry about that, tower informed pilots in the ATIS that realism police was at the field so no one dared to park in a wrong spot 😜

1 Like

Once again, awesome photos! My favorites are the ones with the alps in the background. Very stunning!

1 Like