Back at the Airport | Munich, May 03/06, 2020

Hey there once again!

It’s been close to two month since I last posted here due to obvious reasons. With regulations in Germany becoming less restrictive again, spotting is possible again, however, traffic in Munich is extremely low at the moment. As a consequence this topic sums up the two trips I did to the the airport in the last seven days.
The first trip was on last sunday, when Lufthansa operated their flights with A319s instead of the CRJs used during the week. This gave me the chance to finally get a shot of their LU livery in the new colors.

Overall, the sunday trip wasn’t that satisfying picture-wise unfortunately. Clouds ruined half of the movements (which were less than ten anyway), but at least a distance shot of Uzbekistan Airlines’ Boeing 767F inbound from Tashkent worked. Like many movements, this is a temporary “Corona service” bringing goods from China.

Not only foreign airlines do freight flights to Munich though. Lufthansa performs two daily cargo flights from China using their A350s. Their first A350 landed into the descending sun while I was chilling on a new hill with my good friend Patrick at the southern runway as one of the last planes to use that runway for the month of May, since it is closed for constructions for three weeks.

Unlike its sister XA, XN isn’t as lucky and is currently sitting on the ground at Munich’s deicing pad waiting for an end of the current crisis.

Let’s jump right to Wednesday though. With another special announced, I left work a bit earlier and arrived right in time for our regular cargo flight from Paris. Since I arrived only moments before the landing I only made it to the visitor hill, resulting in the nice backdrop of the city of Freising but quite some heat haze in the pic.

A not as regular freighter arrived…no, not from Reykjavik but from Shanghai. For at least 45 days, Icelandair is performing daily all-cargo flights on a PVG-MUC-KEF routing for the logistics company DB Schenker. For that reason, seats have been removed from the 767s used and stickers have been applied.

The main reason for my visit that day, however, was Etihad Cargo’s 777F inbound from Shanghai via Abu Dhabi. Usually, the airline doesn’t serve Munich, which isn’t a big hub for cargo anyway.

After this “inbound rush”, there was some time to kill before all the planes were set to depart again, so I decided to check out the empty terminals in Munich which was quite a strange feeling. I took some pictures I might share in another topic later, such as this slightly different perspective of Munich’s ATC tower.

After the little terminal visit, I went back to my bike and quickly visited the aircraft parked at the Terminal 1 ramp, such as Condor’s A320 D-AICK.

After positioning myself at the runway again, I got another nice shot of our Icelandic visitor departing for its home base in nice evening light.

A sadder sight was this beauty. Just like its A380s, Lufthansa is also sending the A340-600 fleet into deep storage at Teruel (Spain) and it’s unsure if they will return. At the moment the only certain thing is that they won’t be part of the fleet for 1.5 years or longer but I hope that at least some will return again. D-AIHI will leave Munich in the next few days, so this shot taken after an engine test might be one of the last pictures of the plane for a long time.

In the evening light, a slightly smaller jet left Munich again: FAI Ambulance’s Learjet 60 took off in front of the Satellite terminal, which will probably be closed until the end of the year due to the low demand at the moment.

After using 08L for the entire day, ATC switched operations to 26R for the last landing we caught. Qatar’s 777 performing another cargo flight using a passenger plane touched down a few minutes after sunset, giving us a chance to practice our panning skills again.

Hope you enjoyed this little comeback after quite a while! I really hope I can get to the airport for more pics and more special and regular movements again soon!

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I need a wide angle lens)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First two days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last specials prior to the Corona break

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again! You’ll end up in a burnout very soon I fear…
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again

54 Likes

Nice to see you back! Loved the first picture and the Lufthansa A340

1 Like

That’s hot. Well done as usual

1 Like

Glad to see you back out at the airport again, these are definitely just…no words can explain how good they are.

1 Like

I’ll post a spotting topic tomorrow…

He said two days ago 😂

Better late than never, some great shots…

4 Likes

If you know you know

3 Likes

Unfortunately I still have to work and don’t have school canceled for ages or something like that haha

1 Like

Dude, that FedEx is poppin

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that first livery but it looks really nice!

1 Like

The mighty Moritz is back, with awesome photos just like always! Great job there.

1 Like

Sickkkkkkkk pan on that Qatar. 1/60?

Also this is like 13 photos you criminal

1 Like

Oh, nice pics Moritz!

1 Like

Wow, love the A350. Sad to see it grounded😔

1 Like

Those are some nice photos!

2 Likes

Awesome photos mate, they are beautiful. Nice work!

1 Like

Great Shots 👍

1 Like

Nice to see Germany relaxing its restrictions. Great shots @Moritz!

1 Like

Great pictures! Glad to see some spotting again. That Qatar 777 is really nice! Hope we see that A340 in the air after COVID-19…

1 Like

I think it was 1/40 but I wouldn’t be able to tell you without checking it on my laptop again 👀

1 Like

At least it will take off again for sure, I’m more worried about the 340s and 380s at this time 👀😅

1 Like