B787-9 Not keeping altitude, stalls every time

Hi IFC, Issues with the B787-9…

I’m climbing to FL400 just to go a little faster as I’m doing QF9 from Perth to London Heathrow, As I climb I start to loose speed as I set to M 0.87, it’s on full TOGA on 100% power and it’s loosing speed, VS was about 3000, and then when I reach my altitude it start pitching up and down and up and down before it goes to IAS 150 and stalls, This is the same with the A320

1 Like

Sounds like you were either too heavy or climbing too fast. Check out the tutorial I linked above.

6 Likes

Cruise speed for the B787 is usually M0.85 or less.

This is wayy to steep, try bringing the VS down to something like 1000fpm.

4 Likes

You’re aircraft is to heavy you need to step climb as said above.

2 Likes

A bit too high…

A bit too high…

A bit too high…

You were also probably very heavy because you were flying a very long flight.

10 Likes

I was over the Maximum Landing weight by a bit so I could have more flight time and burn it on the way

1 Like

You need to go to a lower altitude the heavier you aircraft is.

1 Like

If you climb too high with lots of fuel, the weight of the fuel will stall you out.

Use the thread provided by @anon7075715 for a better understanding of step climbing, and why it’s so important for long hauls.

6 Likes

Oh, Didn’t know that, Thanks anyways

Yea over the MLW isnt really a great idea at 400

Id rather keep this in support

Also, try to not reach this weight, in the real life the 789 isn’t loaded fully in this fight

I don’t know if anyone has watched their ground speed as they’ve climbed to the service ceiling, but very often, it peaks and then begins to fall again. There’s no guarantee that FL400 is the fasted flight level under all circumstances.

3 Likes

I watched that fall and I’m like “Nah I’m featured on Air Crash Investigations Infinite Flight Edition”

1 Like

I see planes on flight radar (787) that climb to FL430 in one climb but when I try to do it in IF it just stalls…

1 Like

Yea I attempted that

Well, they could be doing a slow and steady climb.

1 Like

Are they on a long haul like QF9 or as heavy as it? And I’d love to know where you see a 787 on Flightradar at FL430, Could you please provide the tail number of that plane so I could see it?

1 Like

I’m gonna try this QF9 flight again

here ya go, remember the 787 has a ceiling of 43,000ft

1 Like