B77W Stalled on Final Approach

Hello IFC, today, I was doing the flight 9W232 from VABB-EHAM (Bom-Ams) in a b77w. The flight went perfectly until I got to final approach in Amsterdam. Usually, on all my other b77w flights, my final approach speed is 140 knots with full flaps, regardless of whether I have APPR on or doing a visual landing. However, yesterday, despite having APPR on, the aircraft stalled at 140 knots and plummeted to the ground from 2500 feet on final approach. Did I do something wrong yesterday? This has never happened to me under the same conditions in a b77w ever. Thanks and appreciate the help! 😁

— Aniket

3 Likes

Depending on your Landing weight 140 knots is too slow for a 777, mine is normally around 145-148 and that is also probably in real world aviation too.

4 Likes

Hello!

I will kindly assist here.

What trim did you have?

VITAL TO KNOW
On manual landings, calibration is important.
Though when using APPR, it can be glitchy and may malfunction.
At this rate, calibrate and see if that fixes it.
If not, quickly calibrate and turn of APPR, and switch to manual control.
After this, always use your throttle to speed up the plane, preventing a stall.

2 Likes

I believe I had trim set to -24%

2 Likes

Have you tried my suggestions before?
I have a feeling that might fix it.

2 Likes

Yes I have, however, I always calibrate before I set APPR on, I never touch APPR whenever it’s engaged

2 Likes

Well, like said, the APPR can sometimes be glitch and can malfunction. Also, manual Landings are better than APPR.

3 Likes

What’s the best trim setting for a 777

2 Likes

If you were not lined up with the glideslope your aircraft will create a drastic change in pitch to be on the glideslope which will result in a stall if you have AP set speed as it will not change quickly enough. This is the likely scenario. When turning on APPR always make sure that you are already established on the glideslope and aligned with the runway.

4 Likes

145 is the sweet spot until you are fully stabilised, if you are descending and perfectly lined up as @USA007 has said then decrease your speed a bit but for the most part the speed will end up dropping to 135 or something with AP on hence 145 keeps you out of the stall speeds if the ap doesn’t react as fast.

4 Likes

I usually have my final approach speed from 145 knts to 155 knts depending on the weight on final, with trim being at 30%

3 Likes

No, I was already on the glide slope and the aircraft was perfectly aligned. See, I always turn appr on with speed at 160 knots and 25 flaps. Then after I reach somewhere in the middle of the first and second ATC ring, I put my gear down, reduce speed to 140 knots and flaps at full. Yet today, it somehow stalled. I always do this process with all my flights on the B77W, never had this happened to me…

2 Likes

Again as others pointed out, 140 kts is rather slow, next time just start at 150 kts. You said that you usually fly at 140 kts but never had this problem. It could mean that the weight was a bit heavy this time than previous times. Next time, start at 150kts, then slowly start to decrease and continue on, if you notice you are too fast, then reduce a bit and stop at 145kts, this will ensure that you will not stall.

5 Likes

You may have also had a tailwind, keep in mind that if you have a tailwind or any other wind factors then you should pay close attention to your ground speed over your indicator airspeed which is above your minimap or can be set to your bar at the bottom portion of the screen.

1 Like

I make landing with big planes with 180/200 knots, with full flaps!

That is easily 35 - 40 kts faster than what a normal final approach speed would be… the only plane that would get anywhere near the numbers you mentioned is the MD11/MD11 F

I follow this standards with any big aircraft, A330, A340, B767, B777, and more.

still way to fast. The only way you are able to do this is if you are flying the final with flare pitch. Which means when you are touching down you are tail striking. You want to keep your pitch around 1-1.5° of pitch up while on final with a 5-6°pitch up flare max on the longer jets

Maybe, my average flight time on the b77w is usually 12-15 hours, but this flight was only 8.5 hours.

I did as a matter of fact, does it make a difference though

1 Like