B737-9MAX Grounded Again

After recent events with Alaska Airlines incidents, the FAA have grounded the B737-9MAX again. What are your thoughts? Have Boeing did enough to improve their quality assurance after the tragic losses and improve their reputation? Did the FAA make the right decision or they have failed again to pressure Boeing to do more?

Curious to hear your thoughts!

32 Likes

Oh brother

2 Likes

looks like we’re in for a fun year in aviation

15 Likes

I believe the decision made was appropriate. The 737 Max series remains safe, but it’s crucial to thoroughly investigate and resolve the identified issue. The FAA is well-versed in ensuring safety and making decisions in the best interest of all.

I also think it’s inappropriate to make jokes about this situation.

3 Likes

Yes and no. It was right for them to step in and ground the type, but they should not have been the ones to do so. Boeing should have done it immediately following the incident. The MAX series has had issue after issue, and now the company is in—once more—a PR nightmare.

Money over safety. I’ll continue to reiterate that. Boeing is digging themselves a bigger hole every day.

24 Likes

Is it all 737 maxes or only certain ones?

1 Like

Ha! This made me laugh. The FAA is an incompetent, out-of-date agency that preaches something they don’t strive for themselves. Another corrupt government organization pulling publicity stunts.

8 Likes

The FAA has its issues, like any organization, but calling the whole agency incompetent isn’t fair. They’ve put in safety rules and oversight to keep air travel safe, updating things to match the changes in the aviation world. Saying they’re all incompetent oversimplifies things and ignores the hardworking people in the FAA. It’s okay to have criticisms, but let’s talk about them in a way that understands the bigger picture and how complicated regulating aviation can be.

10 Likes

I wonder if the 900 has this same issue as from my knowledge the fuselage is similar.

I think it’s only a few in a certain configuration, similar to the one in the Alaska Airlines incident.

The current situation is unrelated to the improvements made to MCAS, the system responsible for the previous fatal crashes. It involves a breached bulkhead panel leading to aircraft depressurization, which was not a previous concern.

1 Like

Given what I’m going through with them right now, I’m calling them incompetent. Read my LinkedIn posts if you want to learn why. I’d rather not get into it here.

Actually, it’s the opposite. By calling the entire agency incompetent, I’m defining that the FAA “does not have or is not showing the necessary skills to do something successfully.” That is the agency as a whole, not the folks individually.

When we have a year without multiple close calls, various failed initiatives, non-fluid communication and disacknowledgment of shortcomings, and a director capable of delivering information effectively, I’ll reconsider.

6 Likes

I value your perspective. Thanks for elaborating on your statement; now I understand your point.

3 Likes

Likewise. I do understand your points.

3 Likes

Barely a week in lmao

Given what I’ve heard so far today, it seems to be an issue only with the aircraft involved in the incident. Alaska reported that is has done a major look over on a few of its Max 9s and found no issues. It’s also a little early to speculate on what may have happened. I honestly think a passenger messed with it and caused it to open.

Also, the FAA grounding all Max 9s was a good decision, but they also overreacted to the issue. They’re probably still sore from when the Max had its fallout and don’t fully trust the Max still, which would be bizarre if that’s the case since they’ve continued to let Boeing build and deliver the aircraft.

If I had to guess as to what will happen, the Max 9s will only be grounded until the FAA, Boeing, and the operators determine that the issue is contained. As for how long this could take, that’s anyone’s guess. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, could be anytime. This also doesn’t spoil my thoughts about Boeing. I know they done some questionable stuff, but I believe they’ll eventually be looked up to again. After the amount of time and effort into fixing the Max, I doubt they want a repeat of that. No one does. Aircraft have issues and they get fixed.

4 Likes

Airbus always wins! Haha

1 Like

Allegedly, once a “thorough” check is performed, the aircraft can re-enter service. The grounding was just to stop the aircraft from flying until they are inspected.

Currently N915AK, N921AK, N47524, and N37530 are operating, meaning they have been cleared by maintenace under the EAD.

3 Likes

This wasn’t an emergency exit; it was a breached bulkhead panel. I want to clarify that, in certain configurations, the emergency exit is located in that position.

(I’ll retain this post for reference, but it was indeed an emergency exit, though non-operational. I stand corrected.)

2 Likes

It does suck to see my favorite aircraft (the Max family) continue to have issues. American aviation as a whole is really struggling to be the safety everyone wants. I do have optimism that it will get better. Hopefully soon before something fatal happens

4 Likes