Awesome Rejected Takeoff

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give huge props to whoever Air Force 47 Heavy is on the expert server. @schyllberg was controlling and as I was landing I disappeared from radar. He assumed I crashed which I didn’t. When I reappeared he had cleared AF47 for takeoff. Seb noticed me and issued a cancel takeoff, hold position.

It was awesome to see AF47 respond to ATC and immediately reject his (already very high speed) takeoff. I had nowhere to go and visibility was almost nil.

Thanks everyone for the awesome (and terrifying) experience!

Cheers.
Jay

62 Likes

I’ve never actually seen a rejected takeoff in IF

15 Likes

Pilots name is Kris Soowamber. Nice piloting, man!

15 Likes

Wow! I love when people follow commands perfectly. Back in the day I had to issue quite a few RTOs at KNUC on TS1, although only two pilots followed my commands. The Expert server is so awesome!

14 Likes

I’m still amazed he was able to stop. Think he was somewhere around 150kts when i cancelled his clearance. Such a great game experience! Well done whoever you are, AF47!

14 Likes

Full reverse, brakes and spoilers !! :)

7 Likes

Of course, but he was really close to Jason so i never thought he was going to pull it off.

6 Likes

Also, AF 47 Heavy made a quick exit from the runway after the cancelled t/o clearance, as I was already lined up on the runway with an aircraft on 3 mile final. Very well done indeed.

6 Likes

If he was going that fast shouldn’t he have proceeded with the takeoff?

4 Likes

Oh ok. Sounds like an awesome experience!

2 Likes

The safest thing would probably have been for him to climb fast as hell, yes. But there is no way for me to tell him that, and i don’t know if he actually was able to see Jason at that time as he had just reappeared to me. Fortunately, we don’t have server issues in real life :)

9 Likes

Yes. 150 was certainly past V1 and possibly over Vr! I like practicing rejected takeoff but that guy probably should have already been in the air!

12 Likes

it depends in the aircraft and weight. If he was an A380 with MTOW… maybe he shouldn’t

3 Likes

I did twice in one flight at JFK.

3 Likes

Well done to this pilot. I wish I could have seen it. That ultra level of realism makes flying so enjoyable. Kudos to him and the controller for keeping on their game.
@schyllberg would it not have also been okay to tell him to expedite? I haven’t controlled in a long time so I’m not as up to date. But since that command was implemented couldn’t that be used to tell an aircraft taking off to expedite or would that just be silly since he’s already speeding down the runway?

3 Likes

Air Force 47 you are awesome

3 Likes

Sure. Let’s look at the negatives. 🙄 Ain’t nobody ever happy.

12 Likes

Jajaja great job man!

2 Likes

That would have been an option, perhaps. But it wasn’t what crossed my mind at that moment. I acted on my gut feeling, and came out winning thanks to this pilots quick response :)

4 Likes

Not cross examining you or anything :) you did incredible and im thankful for controllers that have such quick action like yourself. Thank you

4 Likes