Avionics Control Panel Explained

Overview

Letter Instrument Explained
A NAV 1 Displays the VOR Identifier and VOR frequency for tuned in for Nav 1
B NAV 2 Displays the VOR Identifier and VOR frequency for tuned in for Nav 2
C ADF 1 Displays the ADF Identifier and ADF Frequency
D CRS 1 Allows you to change the course needle for the navigation frequency dialed in on NAV 1
E CRS 2 Allows you to change the course needle for the navigation frequency dialed in on NAV 2
F SOURCE Change between GPS, NAV 1, and NAV 2. The autopilot will follow this source depending on what you have selected.
G BRG 1 / NAV1 Changing this source will change where the RMI needles (blue needles) point to. Will point to the VOR / ADF station tuned or next GPS waypoint.
H BRG 2 / NAV2 Changing this source will change where the RMI needles (blue needles) point to. Will point to the VOR / ADF station tuned or next GPS waypoint.
I ADF 1 HDG Changing this will allow you to change the heading card of the ADF found on the instrument cluster

How are they used?

How to Tune into a VOR?

How to Tune into an ILS Approach?

Important note regarding ILS tuning:

You must be within a 27nm radius of the airport in order to successfully tune in the ILS frequency. Outside of this range you will not be able to tune in the runway. I would highly suggest creating a FPL that has a GPS route from the end of the cone to the runway threshold and use that as a guide to align you with the runway. This will not be as accurate as the ILS but will keep you going in the correct direction.

How to Tune into a NDB?

Helpful Tips

• To fly to a VOR from your present position, double tap either NAV1 or NAV2, depending on where which NAV source your VOR is tuned into and turn towards the arrow. Fly the course as you would an ILS.

• To fly outbound on a radial, you will need to take your heading to the VOR and either add or subtract 180 degrees to find the outbound radial.

• Once you are tuned into an ILS Approach, do not to mess with the course for that specific NAV source. Doing so will not line you up with the appropriate runway and may cause you to execute a missed approach.

• Make sure you are comfortable with these settings before flying in crowded airspaces. Practice on a solo flight or in a quiet airspace so you will be prepared when flying through an active airspace.

• Make sure you watch all video tutorials that are made by Infinite Flight on YouTube. This will help you immensely.

It will take some time to learn how to use the new NAV menu. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask below.

158 Likes

What is the ADF?

6 Likes

An ADF is a type of navigation instrument. It stands for Automatic Direction Finding. What it will do is point you to the ground base station from your relative bearing. ADF’s are rare in today’s aviation system. VOR’s ultimately took over this instrument. But as technology progressed, VOR’s are now becoming a bit more obsolete and now GPS is the way of the future.

22 Likes

oh boy
Infinite Flight just got extremely confusing.

57 Likes

It’s much more intuitive then you would think. :)

10 Likes

All the better appealing to people who have a PPL :)

11 Likes

Is it possible to still fly with NAV mode though? And is it possible to fly without and by using the normal waypoints?

Yes. Still possible to fly with NAV. Set up a flight plan, make sure your Source is in GPS and in the autopilot tab, click on NAV and the airplane will start following it.

Want to have the AP follow your FPL?

• Set up FPL
  • Source GPS
  • Autopilot NAV on
12 Likes

So just to clarify, this is used for thing like SIDs where there is a segment along a VOR radial, but during cruise we can just go back to GPS, right?

1 Like

This is gonna make flying SO much more interesting. Practicing VOR navigation is gonna be a lot of fun.

6 Likes

Is there a way to know the distance that you are from a VOR?

2 Likes

You lost me from ADF below :)

Can’t wait. I know all this so off I go to practice some VOR approaches

3 Likes

I think so if you add it to your flight plan.

1 Like

What is the point of flying to a VOR and what do they do?

5 Likes

You can track a set direction (called a radial) from the VOR without going direct to a waypoint

But why would you use a VOR instead of a waypoint, sorry btw I’m just really confused about the new NAV stuff 😂

2 Likes

There might not be a waypoint, or you might not have the VOR itself as a waypoint. I’ve seen the second case in a SID once and had to do something really weird.

3 Likes

@DeerCrusher can you guys please make a tutorial on YouTube about the Avionics? That would be very helpful 😅

13 Likes

Agree , i didn’t understand much :)

1 Like