Aviation Safety News: Week 18/2019

Aviation Safety News: Week 18/2019

What is this?
In this series, I will show you up to 5 accidents, incidents or other Aviation Safety related news that happened over the last week. Stories that might be too small for an own topic, but still interesting. Out of respect and common sense, this series will only include accidents where no human lives were lost. Also, if an incident appeared in an own topic, I will try not to mention it here again. My apologies if I miss something that has already been posted.

April 30, 2019

Accidental Launch

Type Cessna FR 172J & Tecnam P2008JC
Airline Private & LOT Flight Academy
Registration SP-KML & SB-LFB
Location Piotrków Trybunalski Airport, Poland

An experienced pilot accidentally hit an empty LOT Flight Academy training aircraft while preparing his Cessna for takeoff. The pilot was injured. It is reported that he didn’t use the correct procedures that lead to the accidental launch.

Sources:

A Soft Touch

Type Boeing 737-700 & Boeing 737-300
Airline Ryanair & Jet2
Registration EI-SEV & G-GDFB
Location East Midlands Airport, United Kingdom

A Ryanair 737-700 was taxiing after landing when its right-hand wing tip contacted the tail of a parked 737-300 operated by Jet2. Both planes were damaged, but no injuries were reported. The Ryanair 737-700 was able to leave East Midlands again the day after on its regular schedule. The Jet2 737-300 is still parked at the airport.

wingtip

Sources:

May 2, 2019

Severe Turbulence

Type Boeing 737-800 & Boeing 777-200ER
Airline T’way Air & Alitalia
Registration HL8021 & EI-DBM
Location Near Tokyo Narita Airport, Japan

A Boeing 737-800 operated by T’Way Air was en route from Seoul to Tokyo when it suffered severe turbulence while approaching Narita Airport. The airplane managed to land safely. However, a cabin crew member broke his/her right ankle. Shortly after this incident, an Alitalia Boeing 777-200ER arriving from Rome, Italy, suffered severe turbulence as well. Three cabin crew members were injured during that process. The airplane made a safe landing in Tokyo, and one of the injured was taken to the hospital. Luckily, the seatbelt sign was on during the time of the incident.

Sources:

Car Crash with a Plane

Type Airbus A321
Airline Nordwind Airlines
Registration VQ-BOD
Location Moskva-Sheremetyevo Airport, Russia

A truck driver who reportedly fell asleep or lost consciousness fell asleep while driving around at Moskva-Sheremetyevo Airport. He crashed into an empty parked Nordwind Airlines A321 and suffered injuries during the crash. The plane was damaged and is still on the ground in Moscow.

Source:

May 3, 2019

History Forced to Land

Type Douglas C-47A (DC-3C)
Airline Buffalo Airways
Registration C-GJKM
Location Near Hay River Airport, Canada

Buffalo Airways and its old planes are legendary. They were featured in the History Television Show “Ice Pilots.” Over the years, the airline had a couple of incidents. The last one now occurred on May 3rd, 2019 when a Douglas DC-3 suffered an engine failure and force-landed outside Hay River. Two crew were on board; both were uninjured. Sadly. The airframe was damaged beyond repair though.

Source:

Last Weeks Episode

Happy landings and a safe week!
Marc

17 Likes

Great work Marc! But being part of LOT Virtual, I am sad to see that this small plane got wrecked in its own training academy. 😖

2 Likes

Absolutely. It says “LOT” on the plane so it is LOT. I really like those training planes some airlines do operate. SWISS, Lufthansa and Emirates own similar versions.

2 Likes

These Tecnams Look so good, shame it got hit >_<

A Miami air plane overran yesterday, so why isn’t it included? Will it be included in next week’s along with the Aeroflot crash?

1 Like

No need to open a second place where something can be discussed, if we already have a main topic.

2 Likes

I can’t believe it!!! Thanks love Buffalo Air, and I am so sad they lost that DC-3. Luckily there were no injuries.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.