Aviation Research Project

So, I have to write a 15 page research paper on any topic and I’m considering doing aviation. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a few ideas as to what kind of aviation/aerodynamics I should look into. (I apologize if this is off topic 😂).

3 Likes

Airline Deregulation Act would be a good one to look into. You might be able to squeeze a dozen pages out of that one. 15 may be pushing it.

12 Likes

I’m currently working on a presentation for school, I chose the ETOPS type rating system, like how aircraft are given an ETOPS rating and how airlines and air manufacturers maintain this.
I’ll really begin researching after winter break.

It’s a little much but something I’d like to work with.

5 Likes

Icing, micro bursts, any type of bizarre weather will keep ya going. Composite materials being used, new engine efficiency. The possibility’s are endless.

4 Likes

I’ll look over everyone’s suggestions and make an informed decision on what I should do. Thanks for the suggestions!

2 Likes

Evolution of aviation and its safety

And how after every crash aircraft are improved kindof like survival of the fittest / ecological evoulition.

4 Likes

Maybe how different engines over the span of when aviation came to be and fuel consumption.

(I don’t know, but I’d like to do a paper on that.)

2 Likes

A/B/C/D Maintenance checks may be good. You could get lots of good stuff outta that. Good luck!

1 Like

I’m actually writing a report for my English class on aviation and travel safety which is a very broad topic, so I have several ways I can go about writing it (since it needs to be at least 10 pages). Some main points I plan on touching up on are how airport security has changed since 9/11, what airlines and aircraft manufacturers are doing to improve the safety of their aircraft, and even a little bit on weather safety. There are other interesting safety topics which I will probably run across as I’m researching the topics above so I’m confident I’ll meet my minimum requirement of 10 pages.

Since you’re writing a 15 page paper I would recommend choosing a more broad topic like the ones I listed above or whatever you think will meet the requirement with the other topics the community provides. As long as you sound like you know what you’re talking about and you provide sources for the information, you can easily hammer out a 15 page research paper especially since there are so many topics to choose from in aviation. You probably already know this but I’m sure some of the RW pilots here would be more than happy to answer some of your questions if you have any that will help you complete your report.

Another possible topic I just thought of is ATC privatization. Benefits and downsides, how it will affect passengers, controllers, etc.

3 Likes

The development and use of aluminum-lithium alloys for current aerospace technology seems to have an endless supply of information to write about.

3 Likes

Legitimately if anyone else other than someone of our interests were to read this they’d fall asleep instantly.

(Is it strange that I find this stuff fascinating???)

4 Likes

I wrote a historical investigation on that last year! @DiamondGaming4 If you choose to do that topic, feel free to contact me with any questions.

2 Likes

Ooooh. These are good ones.

@DiamondGaming4 Not sure what the criteria for your paper is but maybe consider something that would branch out to other subtopics?

4 Likes

My suggestion would be an analysis of the changing airline business model from one of exclusivity to one of inclusiveness and how that has affected the quality of product, the routes served, aircraft purchased, and overall customer service of the airlines as well as marketing tactics. Should get you 20 pages at least.

2 Likes

I did my senior thesis on airline mergers, I believe. Examples include the recent Alaska/Virgin America venture, Delta/Northwest, American/Pan-Am, etc. You can discuss the pros and cons of merging and how it can hurt or bolster the industry in terms of connection, revenue, etc.

With this type of topic, it’s easy to B.S. reasons out of your head and back it up with some research for your works cited. My paper had to be restricted to 10 pages, but you should be able to hit 15 easily.

4 Likes

You could do supersonic passanger aircraft and write about the concorde, Tu-144 and the boeing 2707 and how the concorde worked and the other two failed. You could also write about the materials they were made from and the costs if designing manufacturering and operating costs of all of them or for the 2707 what it was estimated to be. (2707 made it as far as a wood model) Then you could write about is the fall of them like the concordes crash and the tupolevs crash and how they happened. You could then write were all the aircraft are now. The final thing you could write about is about the future of supersonic passanger aircraft like the BOOM.
Good luck with the project.

4 Likes

Stalling, a lot more go’s into it than low speeds…

Have a read up…

1 Like

introduction of ETOPS for twin engine planes - Heres a video by Wendover Productions to get you off the ground (pardon the pun!)

5 Likes

Back when I was in sixth grade, I wrote a 10 page paper on the evolution of Boeing. I then included a slideshow to show pictures of the planes. If I hadn’t have done that, no one would’ve known what I was talking about.

3 Likes

A great project would be “Why air travel is safer than car travel”. There is a big argument on it.

3 Likes