Aviation Related Accidents by the Numbers-Is 2018 the Worst Year for Aviation

Hello community, After seeing a lot of comments on aviation related accidents/incidents saying that 2018 is the worst year for aviation, i decided to pull some numbers and see what year was actually the worst year for aviation. According to the ICAO, from 2008 through 2017 a total of 9 years there was
in:
2008 139 related aviation accidents and 523 fatalities
2009 116 related aviation accidents and 695 fatalities
2010 128 related aviation accidents and 768 fatalities
2011 125 related aviation accidents and 422 fatalities
2012 98 related aviation accidents and 386 fatalities
2013 90 related aviation accidents and 173 fatalities
2014 97 related aviation accidents and 911 fatalities
2015 92 related aviation accidents and 474 fatalities
2016 75 related aviation accidents and 182 fatalities
2017 88 related aviation accidents and 50 fatalities
These numbers are based on scheduled commercial flights over 5.7T
As of todays date November 25th, 2018 there has been 27 aviation related accidents resulting in 853 deaths. With one month to go for the new year this may possible be one of the most dangerous years for aviation yet with scheduled air carriers.

Let me know what you think in the replies below

11 Likes

This is really interesting, did not expect to see so many accidents in 2008-2011

Thanks for feedback! I appreciate it

I don’t understand how incidents/accidents are so low yet fatalities so high.

2 Likes

Yes I agree. It is very interesting.

1 Like

I would think bc while flying is the safest way of flying that when a plane has an accident it has a high number of people on board

Thanks for the feedback

Because if an A380 crashed, it would be logged as 1 incident, but if everyone on board perished, the fatality count would be anywhere from 400-800. Since these are commercial numbers, every aircraft will have many people on board per incident.

4 Likes

We’re also coming off of 2017 which is by a long shot the best, live vastly the best…

1 Like

That is true. So there’s positive in a somewhat negative situation

1 Like

Its sad to see how many people die due to a plane crash :(

2 Likes

I read it wrong, disregard that, sorry guys…

2 Likes

Look at 2014 9-1-1 (emergency number)

Yah it is. There could be many things that contribute to a plane accident.

Like @Dubya said if a larger plane crashes then ultimately the number of accidents was lower but the fatalities were higher. In 2014 number of accidents are lower than lots of years but two 777s crashed which added lots of fatalities

1 Like

Yeah I know most of them were 🇲🇾 🤔

1 Like

Yeah with all the rwa posts about planes crashing I believe it. 2018 is absolutely unforgiving. Let’s hope we finish the year strong with very few accidents!

1 Like

I agree. I don’t want to see another aviation accident

1 Like

Curious what’s your source?

This seems to be the most accurate source that I can find! There may be others out there but it seems like this was the most accurate and trust worthy https://www.icao.int/safety/iStars/Pages/Accident-Statistics.aspx

1 Like