Aviation Photography Question

Hello Community!

I just have a quick question that came upon me… I take some pictures that I think are pretty good but don’t sell them (yet). I mainly take aviation photography.

Are there any restrictions to selling pictures with airlines in them? Like if I take a picture of a Southwest 738, can I sell it?

Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

4 Likes

Yes you can, as long you are not using their mark in any way that would cause consumer confusion. It is risky so I would recommend doing more research and consulting with someone more knowledgeable. I found some helpful information here.

1 Like

Idk about selling it, but maybe try to get your images on jet photos. Maybe look up some websites that do that

2 Likes

I’ve sold numerous photos, mainly for private use. But I don’t think there’s any restrictions… at least none that I know of.

1 Like

So you’ve sold some… is there an “acceptable” price?

So the only experience I have with selling aviation photos was when someone reached out to me. They were buying unedited aircraft photos for an “Aircraft Identification AI Software” I believe, and were buying 50 cents for each photo. I took the offer, and sent them a few hundred photos. But I’m not sure what an acceptable price would be in your scenario… and what the photo would be used for.

Would you mind if I PM you? I can show you the picture I am think of.

Go ahead. :)

1 Like

One example of a restriction is you can’t take a photo of a Southwest aircraft, print it on T-shirts and sell those all over the place. That would classify as consumer confusion.

From Wikipedia:

Consumer confusion is a state of mind that leads to consumers making imperfect purchasing decisions or lacking confidence in the correctness of their purchasing decisions.

I don’t think anyone here is a copyright lawyer, and probably best to take this to google, I’m sure your not the first person to wonder if you can sell photos with brands, and there are definitely much better places to get that answer…

4 Likes

@Moritz and @Cameron_Stone have sold images, maybe they could help you out.

2 Likes

I’ve sold a few calendars so far and I’m far from the only one. I also sold one individual pic to the aircraft owner, obviously there isn’t a copyright issue then.

1 Like

As far as I know, most airlines don’t care. There are a few (mainly private/charter companies) that I’ve heard of, but as long as you aren’t using their logo in a place it doesn’t belong, it shouldn’t be much of an issue. You have a right to photograph their aircraft and you own the rights to the photos, so I doubt there is much they could do if they tried.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.