Aviation movie suggestions

I am looking for good movies that somewhat revolve around aviation. Take any suggestions. Please leave out the obvious ones like “Sully” and “Flight”. I am looking for one in specific about an ATC controller or was not paying attention because his daughter died or something and he let two planes crash. I cannot think of the title. Any suggestions would be great though

3 Likes

You can find some of the community’s favorites in this topic: What Is Your Favorite Aviation Movie?

Have a great evening :)

yeah all the one listed are kind of the most obvious ones that everyone has seen

Google is a wonderful tool. This lists 30 of em, I’m sure there are more obscure ones out there, but nothing that’s too difficult to find with a simple “aviation films” or “films with aircraft” search 😊

1 Like

I recommend Airplane or Air Force One. They are older movies, but they definitely do not disappoint!

If your in to documentaries I STRONGLY recommend “Heathrow Britain’s Busiest Airport” I’ve watched the series almost 4 times already. It shows behind the scenes of ground crew, maintenance, staff, and ATC

2 Likes

not precisely aviation related but “Catch Me If You Can.” It’s got a significant amount of flying and aviation related stuff. Plus it’s a really good movie.
There’s also “The Aviator” about Howard Hughes and his flying movies and his TWA vs. Pan Am story.
Also check out this really old movie called “Twelve O’Clock High” about World War II and the Air Force. And “Tora Tora Tora!” about the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor (trust me it’s a WAY better move than “Pearl Harbor,” and has a lot more flying.)

2 Likes

My personal favorite is The Terminal Starring Tom Hanks. It is about a man who gets stranded at JFK for a really long time (Over 6 months) It is really interesting and goes into great detail of the airport. (There is even a little love story or two) I suggest you watch it! :)

3 Likes

Airplane! Is a classic, it’s a must watch movie. It’s rather humorous, mixed with some (not many) serious parts, and there are so many lines from Airplane! that have lived on and are used today. Overall, it’s a great movie.

4 Likes

Happy Flight!

Its a story about an ANA 747 flight to Honolulu. However there are so many funny stories along the journey and the flight even have to make a divert back to Tokyo due to emergency situation under a typhoon day. So excited and funny!

3 Likes

This one is awesome!

1 Like

Space movie with lots of aviation history:
The Right Stuff

2 Likes

If you’re looking for one about pilots then there is a documentary about easyJet and it’s got a fair few episodes

1 Like

Aftermath is nice but not that much on planes

1 Like

Y’all should read what he posted he is looking for a specific movie but can’t remember the name

2 Likes

Top Gun ;)

2 Likes

i think you’re referring to Aftermath

Being an avgeek, its odd that I haven’t watched many aviation related movies. In total, I think I’ve watched three:

1. Air Force One
  2. Snakes on a Plane
  3. Sully

For obvious reasons, I would have to say Sully was my favorite!

3 Likes

Top Gun.
Anything else is simply incorrect.

1 Like

Even this?

The ultimate aviation movie.

3 Likes

One that I absolutely would recommend is the terminal with Tom hanks.

1 Like