Aviation in media

On point. Delta in a nutshell

1 Like

So do you think that more attempts should be made to educate the public (at least those who fly regularly, or plan to do so) about how:

a) Pilots are trained to handle these minor incidents and continue to safely operate the aircraft and land it at a suitable diversion airport;

b) The onboard systems/main components of an aircraft and the purpose they serve during a flight. I’m sure if those people actually know what the flaps are for, they wouldn’t be freaking out over how they are stuck at a certain setting after takeoff - that alone won’t cause the plane to crash.

1 Like

Very, very true.

1 Like

me tuning into CNN’s aviation report

TARMAC
TARMAC
TARMAC TARMAC
TARMAC

And of course, those fake plane crash videos where “I’m the only survivor and we had to land in the ocean”, like come on, you are just landing in KANSAI not the OCEAN…

They trigger me so much

2 Likes

Absolute facts.

Some takeaways on airline travel from: Commercial air travel is safer than ever: The rate of passenger fatalities has declined yet again in the last decade, accelerating a long-term trend – ScienceDaily

The risk is so low that being afraid to fly is a little like being afraid to go into the supermarket because the ceiling might collapse

“It’s a factor of 10 safer than it was 40 years ago”

“The risk now in the higher-risk countries is basically the risk we used to have 40-50 years ago in the safest air-travel countries”

for a third-tier higher risk category of the above: “death risk during 2008-2017 was one per 1.2 million passenger boardings”

“Even if the overall trendline is steady, the numbers will bounce up and down, so looking at trends a decade at a time is a better way of grasping.”

(the author) “understands the kinds of concerns people have about airline travel. He began studying the subject partly because of his own worries about flying, and quips that he was trying to “sublimate my fears in a way that might be publishable.””

1 Like

Yes I always go to Natural Grocers they have 3 in DFW

1 Like

Yeah because of pilot mills like ATP

Am I the only one who feels disappointed when movies are ALWAYS crashing 747s? What did the queen of the skies do to you? 😭

2 Likes

I know why is it never so unheard of aircraft

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I also LOVE when the media says T A R M A C when they’re clearly on a taxiway 😵‍💫

2 Likes

One thing I can credit the media for is their fictional airline Oceanic Airways.

1 Like

I just happened upon this topic, and I feel it’s very interesting, so BUMP!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.