Aviation going electric? Would you fly an electric jet?

As we all know rumour has it that aviation will go all out electric!
Air New Zealand and ATR are talking about it Easy Jet are thinking about it and Airbus

Electric aircraft issues
It won’t fly for long
Services on a regular basis
London-New York or Tokyo-Los Angeles won’t take 8hours and 11 hours it will be about 18 hours with all the stops and refuelling business

But long story short WOULD YOU FLY IT??? Let me know in the comments

2 Likes

Well you just mentioned the one reason I opt to not fly on an electric plane.

3 Likes

I would never fly electric until 2119, Because you never know there might be a hacker down on the ground and in the air and hack the plane and make it crash.

2 Likes

I would like to see this in NY

AFAIK electric planes has not been proposed for long haul planes. Norway has a plan, that in 2050 i believe it’s either 50% or all domestic planes have to be electric. Then there’s no issue with long routes. Also, as you said ANZ and ATR are talking. ATR produces short haul planes, ANZ has a big domestic market. EasyJet doesn’t fly long haul flights.
As it seems we won’t see electric Long Haul planes for a very long time, but rather see electric planes growing on the domestic and other short haul routes.

1 Like

We will need airsockets. xD

I don’t think you 100% know how this works. A hacker can’t disable electricity. Like, if you were at home and your lights turned off, would you think ‘oh, a hacker!’. In reality, hackers can hack in to the automated systems, but likely not remotely in the air. A hacker could hack into an A320 from their seat in the plane and make it crash, but other planes like the 737 work differently, so it wouldn’t crash. So it really depends on the aircrafts computers.

4 Likes

This is the reason they don’t fly electric planes right now. But in ten years? Twenty years? Who knows. I’d fly it, because the airlines wolnt adopt it till it’s as good if not better than traditional aircraft…

1 Like

Adding on to that, the computers would have to have an outside connection. If the computers in the airplane don’t connect to anything external (like the internet), then they can only be hacked through a physical connection to the airplane (e.g. being in the computer bay of the aircraft and plugging in your laptop).

1 Like

Well by definition, there can be no “electric jets”. That’s not how a “Jet” engine works. Maybe you could have a prop plane, but not a turbo jet. Where would the propulsion come from??? Fuel burns, flow is controlled, pressure changes are created, and propulsion is created. Suck squeeze “BANG” (jet fuel) blow. It’s how an engine works.

2 Likes

Ik it would be very helpful for airines

At first, does an electric aircraft need to refuel? 😂

Aviation switching to all electric aircraft sounds a bit far-fetched. There are some General Aviation aircraft that fly on the electric batteries but commercial aircraft still need some huge research and attention due to the weight of batteries. 1kg kerosene delivers 60x more energy than a 1kg lithium-battery. Hybrid planes are in development but they still they aren’t 100% electric. Small electric/hybrid prop aircraft are being used for flight schools or for fun. They use a small consumption of energy or fuel and don’t require a high amount of energy. It’s all to reduce the CO2 emissions.

Fun fact: In Norway you don’t have to pay for landing rights and you can get free access to charge your battery if you have an electronic aircraft.

As how the electronic aviation industry looks like at the moment, I would definitely fly an electric aircraft!

Flying fully electronic from New York to London won’t happen soon I guess. 😬

1 Like

Obviously I would fly on an electric plane!

In general, one could say that batteries fail way more often than combustion does. It’s not reliable enough yet.

And since engine loss is a catastrophic failure, I don’t see commercial planes being fueled by batteries anytime soon, it would require multiple (to eliminate single-point failures) very reliable batteries, carrying at least 30% excess energy.

And what I mentioned above is not even the biggest problem, it all comes down to the Energy/Weight ratio (very light single-engine electric aircrafts are viable in the next 10 years, I would say).

The power of a jet engine is measured in thrust (lbs, kN). A cruising Boeing 747 requires 55,145 lb (245 295 N) of thrust. This relates to 87,325 hp or 65,000 kW. At take off, the plane produces full thrust at 219,000lb (973 kN) with a power requirement of 105 000 hp or 78,300kW Battery power.

Fully loaded at 400 tons, the Boeing 747 would require 90 mega-watts (MW) of energy to get airborne. This relates to 120,000 horsepower (hp). The energy consumption during cruising is reduced to almost half.

With current technology (11lbs/kW), a battery powerful enough to put fully loaded 747 airborne (90 MW) would weight 992,000lbs/per flight hour (at TO/GA) and 496,000lbs/per flight hour (cruise power).

Thus, an 12-hour flight on a 747 would require approximately 7,500,000lbs worth of batteries (with 2h fuel reserve), this is the equivalent weight of 16 sixteen empty Boeing 747-800s.

Maybe the 2050 Norwegian goal is too optimistic, unless asteroid mining can revolutionize our energy production/storage capabilities somehow in the next 20 years.

I wouldn’t fly, no no, I’m 27y old, maybe my great-grandchildren.

Kind Regards.

2 Likes

Charging sorry 😂😂

1 Like

I own several Yuneec Typhoons and support Yuneec they’re going all electric aircraft here’s one of them

1 Like

I’ll go electric I’ll even be the test pilot strap me in

1 Like

disgostang

Every technology has more limits in its infancy than later in life.

If we stopped a kitty hawk because you could only fly for 12 seconds…

1 Like

We just have to wait a few more years and then it will be up to standards. It’s not far enough along. If they want us to fly on it, they have to make it just as comfortable and fast as any other plane, which it isn’t yet but most likely will be in the next decade.